Next Stage - Astell & Kern SR35 DAP?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Scubacollie

CarAudio.com Newbie
UK
Hi all, I've installed and tuned via REW and Umik, a 3 way active front stage in a 2019 Honda Civic.

When I got the car the standard sound system was unlistenable, but I'm now really happy with it especially now that I've got my head around REW!!

Anyway system consists of the below.

Audison Prima Forza AP F8.9 DSP
Audison BCON High Res Streamer
Audison Voce 6.5 Mid Bass
Audison Voce 3.5 Mid Range
Audison Voce 1.1 Tweeters
Audison Prima APBX 10" Active Sub

I also run all new speaker wiring and sound deadend the doors, I'm thinking of also doing the rear boot space as it's a Hatchback to quieten road noise.

I only use the OEM head unit for radio and Android Auto maps, radio now sounds great going through the DSP, however it really comes alive steaming Amazon music in highest quality from my smartphone to the BCON via Bluetooth in LDAC which is then connected directly to the DSP via Toslink.

Even though I'm blown away by the sound now, I can't help wondering what it would sound like using a DAP instead of my phone? (Samsung S23 Ultra).

Has anybody on here swapped their phone out for a dedicated DAP? And is the difference noticeable?

I will connect the A&K SR35 directly to the BCON via one of these.

www.av.com

AudioQuest Cinnamon Mini Toslink To Optical Cable 1.5m at AV.com

AudioQuest Cinnamon Mini Toslink To Optical Cable 1.5m at AV.com
www.av.com
www.av.com
Any assistance appreciated.

As a cheap experiment, how about using an external DAC dongle connected to your S23, and playing Hi-Rez files into your system? It would give you virtually identical SQ as the A&K unit, and only cost a few bucks so you can decide if the $799 for the A&K is worth the expense.

And cheapass that I am, I'll tell you not to waste the money on an Audioquest optical cable like that. It should be a sub-$10 item.

As a cheap experiment, how about using an external DAC dongle connected to your S23, and playing Hi-Rez files into your system? It would give you virtually identical SQ as the A&K unit, and only cost a few bucks so you can decide if the $799 for the A&K is worth the expense.

And cheapass that I am, I'll tell you not to waste the money on an Audioquest optical cable like that. It should be a sub-$10 item.
Hi Rob, would a cable like the above enable a digital signal to be sent out of the A&K,SR35 to my Audison DSP? Or would it only he analogue coming out of that 3.5mm output? I'm confused.....

Hi Rob, would a cable like the above enable a digital signal to be sent out of the A&K,SR35 to my Audison DSP? Or would it only he analogue coming out of that 3.5mm output? I'm confused.....
From what I can see, that cable will not work at all, as the A&K only has balanced and unbalanced analog outputs. No digital available. No line-level available.
That cable is for devices that have special headphone jacks that are analog with a Toslink digital combined to save space (like the old Sony minidisc players).

You’d be feeding your system with an already-amplified signal, which IMHO would be a huge waste of $800.
To get the most out of the A&K, you’d still need to use an external DAC connected to it (assuming it supports one through the USB). I can get the same quality of sound you’d get for $800 plus DAC expense with a used $40 Samsung I just bought as a dedicated music player.

But if you’re dead set on that A&K, buy it plus an external DAC that has digital outputs and connect it to your DSP (assuming the DSP has digital-in) for the best quality.

Last edited:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...