Wiring question

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zxurian
10+ year member

CT
This is my first time here, so i'll try to include as much info as possible so no-one has to look anything up.

My car is a '92 Jeep Cherokee Laredo

Head unit is a Pioneer DEH-P :: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/Pioneer/CDA/CarProducts/CarProductDetails/0,1429,21409,00.html

Amplifier is a Kicker KX800.4 :: http://www.kicker.com/kcsc/mainx.show_page?p_filename=kxmulti.html&p_menu=AMPS&p_bg=AmpSymBG

Speakers are a pair of Infinity Kappa Perfect 5.1 Components :: http://www.infinityspeakers.com/caraudio/product.asp?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT5%2E1'&Ser=KPE&Cat=COS

Subs are a pair of JBL 12's, rated at 12W-200W. (They're over a year old, and I couldn't find a web page for them.

I'm running the head unit front outputs & sub ouputs into the amp, with the amp front outputs going to the speakers, and the amp rear outputs into the subs.

The kicker manual recommends that I use 2-guage wire for the power cable for the amp.

Now I have talked to a couple of people and they say that I can use 4-guage wire without causing a system meltdown. I was wondering if you people have any suggestions as to whether it would be possible to use 4-guage wire instead of 2-guage. Also, the speaker wire thats currently in there is 16-guage, and I was planning on upping it to 14-guage wire. I was also wondering if thats good enough for the infinities, or should i go up to 12-guage.

Also, (last question here...), do you think I would need to put a capacitor in-line with the system to help power the amp, or could i do without one.

Any help appreciated.

Thanx.

Rick

for wiring i go with the saying "bigger is better"

if your amp requires 2 awg go with 2 awg

no sense in constricting the power flow to your amp

and for speaker wire go with 12 awg once again bigger is better

as for a cap you might consider one depending on the amp output your alternator can put out for your amp

okay. only other problem is i can't find a 120Amp fuse anywhere. is there a way to hook two 60's or 3 40's together?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.