Wiring Powered Sub in 2020 Ford Expedition

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bisquick

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello all,

So far my install is going quite well, but I'm at a decision point with the wiring of my small powered sub (Kicker HS). It accepts high level inputs and I'm running the factory head unit. Documentation reports that there is a Voice coil #1 and Voice coil #2 (+/-) coming out of the head unit. In the Sync 3 audio system, there is no option to enable a sub, however I know I can enable this through Forscan.

Question is this: is it better that I use the voice coil #1 (assume I don't make use of both of them?) and wire that way or should I splice from teh front L/R, which I know are full range signals?

I'm guessing that the voice coil #1 and voice coil #2 must be related to the upgrade B&O sub. I think I would just use one or the other for my powered sub. Advantage to this is that I guess I have only 1 wire to run for connection. Disadvantage is I don't know if they cross this over at the head unit. On the other hand, splicing my front L/R wouldn't be a big deal either, just using some posi-taps.

Any help or advise here is much appreciated!

I have the lowest stock system, which in the 2020 XLT trim is just front component 6x9 and rear 2-way 6.5s. I’m installing the small sub into the center console, so the run is not far from either the front L/R or the Sub Voice coil #1 from the head unit. Just unsure which would be best to use.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.