Wiring harness, Speakers and Headunit.

Participant count
  • Participant list

jayyGT

Canada
Hey guys,

I want to re-wire my car, since the last owner made a total mess of it. I found a brand new 200ft spool of speaker wire in my shop. Could i run speaker wire from the headunit directly to the speaker? (without using the factory speaker harness). The speaker harnesses are like 15$ each! I would rather not buy extra stuff if i can get around it.

Also, my stereo runs 24/7 even when my car is off. Im guessing it's just the remote turn on (blue?) wire. This has never been hooked up from last owner. Where should i attach this to... To make it only work when my car is on??

Thanks for the quick responses. Much appreciated.

whaaaaa? pics of the system atm.

to make the amp stay on, you can put a jumper from the pos on the amp to the remote on the amp.... now the amp will stay on all the time.

better way todo it is to keep using the remote wire from the headunit and hardwire the headunit in, this way when you turn the headunit off the amp looses pwr, not draining your batt whilst parked up.

^those adapter plugs ****..... have seen a lot of installed done using these and majority of them have failed with the small pins within the male plug falling out and touching other pins within that plug.

i never cut factory harnesses off. if you want to bypass the stock harness, you can easily.

HU_Relay.jpg

I tap into the existing harness, so that the standard harness is still wired up but not plugged into anything.... great idea when it comes to selling the car.

NEVER cut the factory harness off. I've never had an issue with wire harnesses, they make installing aftermarket head units very easy. OP you probably just have 2 wires mixed up, specifically constant and accessory wires.

NEVER cut the factory harness off. I've never had an issue with wire harnesses, they make installing aftermarket head units very easy. OP you probably just have 2 wires mixed up, specifically constant and accessory wires.
^^ Exactly how he put it, OP. Most likely, your yellow and red wires from your HU are either mixed up, wired together, or wired improperly. It's a simple mistake, but an easy one to reverse. Just do a Google search for how to wire it properly, and compare it to the job currently done. You can most likely find the mistake that way.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.