Wiring harness and temote-run on install help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Gauntlet
5,000+ posts

bulletproof
edit: topic should read remote turn on....slightly drunk after watching the buckeyes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I've got an 89 cutlass ciera, and I just bought a Pioneer DEHP8400MP. The wiring harness for my car does not have a remote turn on wire. I was told that GM combines the remote turn on with the power antenna. Should I simply connect the remote turn on wire from the head unit to the power antenna wire from the GM wiring harness?

thanks

The remote turn on is meant to go to an external amplifier. If you don't have an amp then just tape it off so it doesn't touch anything metal and possibly fry your HU.

The remote turn on is meant to go to an external amplifier. If you don't have an amp then just tape it off so it doesn't touch anything metal and possibly fry your HU.
See, that's what I thought. I always assumed that the remote turn on was used so that another piece of equipment (amp, radar detector, etc) would always turn on and off along with the head unit. But I asked the question at another forum, and someone said that if the remote turn on was left unconnected and taped off, then the head unit would never be able to power on. Now i'm just confused.

The wires that power the HU are a constant 12V line that keeps the clock set on time and saves your settings. A 12V accessory switch is run off the ignition to switch on everything when the key is set to either the accessory position or when the engine is running. There can also be an illumination wire going to the HU but it is not necessary.

All other wires are for speakers or to turn on amp(s). Remote turn-on means remotely turning on amps, not the actual HU in the dash.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.