How to fix a short in a wiring harness

Seems like a silly question. What is the constant, where is the short? What gauge wire? If it's a damaged wire, what is the damage?

Last edited:
Seems like a silly question. What is the constant, where is the short? What gauge wire? If it's a damaged wire, what is the damage?
No clue where the short is but on my wiring harness there is a wire tagged "constant" and whenever I have the coordinating wire connected my radio doesn't turn off even when the keys are out

No clue where the short is but on my wiring harness there is a wire tagged "constant" and whenever I have the coordinating wire connected my radio doesn't turn off even when the keys are out
Then your suspect is the red wire. It should be connected the the OEM accessory wire.
Have you waited at least 10 minutes to ascertain if it would shut off.

Then your suspect is the red wire. It should be connected the the OEM accessory wire.
Have you waited at least 10 minutes to ascertain if it would shut off.
Yes, when I bought my truck the person before me had the same issue but he left everything hooked up and didn't tell me and I've had to replace my battery twice before I figured out what was happening

That's because it's a constant wire, which means it has power even when the key is out.

It's on the vehicles harness so it's a little more difficult to find ot but if it was on the new harness it wouldn't be an issue
Difficulty doesn't change the solution. You have to find the short and fix it. What answer were you looking for?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...