wiring guide for a total noob?

Participant count
  • Participant list
you don't use that to hook up your headunit like i said in the other thread. you need a wire harness.

go to crutchfield and look for the harness you need. easiest way would just be adding a random HU and see what harness you need.

I meant I was wiring my subs with that kit.

Do I need a wire harness just because I'm working with a ford taurus? Because I have lots of friends who have gotten new HU's and they never had to mess around with a wire harness.

thx

harnesses are good to have but with a qwick install they are not always around so u settle for splicing.... to me its qwick and ez if u know wat ur doing but if u dont u can screw up biggtime..

1999 Ford Taurus Stereo Information

Constant 12V+ Green/Yellow

Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black

Ground Black/Light Green

Illumination Light Blue/Red

Dimmer n/a

Antenna Left Rear

Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors

Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green

Left Front (-) Light Blue/White

Right Front (+) White/Light Green

Right Front (-) Dark Green/Orange

Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Deck

Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue

Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow

Right Rear (+) Orange/Red

Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

each car varies. but installing the h/u is mainly the same concept each time

hooking up the constant12v , accessory12v, ground, antenna and remote wires out to the amps...

I'm surprised the HU's don't come with one, or do you need a specific harness for most cars?
the headunits are universal ... that's why you should buy the wire harness specifically for your car. it's not a mandatory thing, but it's recomended to have a clean and safe install. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

your friends are telling you that you don't need to buy wire harness ... maybe because they just did the splice method, which is what shops usually do to get the job done quickly and messy. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/suicide.gif.a649d21efc0d1fd4890a6428166586c1.gif

when the harness is not around i splice it up and make it very neat solder the wire and shrink tubing to wrap the solder. the wire tie and some tape to neat tuck it. as for shops u must be thinking of best buy or circuit city jobs most custom shops are real neat with that.

ah, thanks guys. I will check out the local stores to see how much I can get a harness kit for. If not, I'll just do the splicing method.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.