wiring 2 orion 1200D amps to 4 L5 12's

Participant count
  • Participant list

juststartin
10+ year member

I recently upgraded my system from 2 12's to 4 12's. i got the same subs, the same amp, same amp kit, same speaker wire, same box, new optima yellow top battery, the whole nine yards. In doing so i havent really made a drastic sound improvement. my 2 12's i had hit very well and i thought i could just duplicate everything and i would be fine, but thats not the case. yes the system is louder but it is not shaking your eyes out of your head like you would expect. my setup is... 4 08S12 kicker L5 12's 4 ohms each, wired as pairs down to 1 ohm. 2 subs per amp. the amps are 2 orion 1200D amps. so my dilema is, why am i not getting the bass resonse i was expecting? is it a signal problem? H.U problem? encloser problem? the enclosers are 2 5.68ft3 tuned to 30hz. i had to use y splitters coming out of the head unit because my output on the amps keep giving me a 32Hz humm coming from the 2nd amp. i really am stumped, i know this alot to take in, if i can get some input i will try to explain it better... thanks for any help i get.

i am powering amps with 2 seperate 4 guage wires from battery, and 4 guage grounds to body. no distrobution blocks. i have not done the big 3 upgrade, could that be the issue? even though im running seperate powere wires, could i still not be getting enough current to powere both amps at the same time?

First off, there is going to be be big difference electrical system wise, in the amount of power needed to run two of these amps.

Big three is a must and and maybe a high output alternator. I would monitor your voltage very closely as I'm almost sure your getting massive voltage drop.

A 1200 watt amp pulls roughly 110 amps ,two will pull around 200 amps. With almost no power system upgrades, your risking blowing your amps from undervoltage.

If you have a voltage gauge on your dash, watch how low it drops @ full volume. If you don't Have a voltage gauge, go buy one.

And I would try to find the issue causing the hum on one of the amps. And as far as using a splitter on the RCA. Cables, most amps have a RCA output to piggyback amps, I would go this route if possible, and if the amps are strappable that would be the best way to go.

Thanks for the input, I am going to try to do the big 3 soon. I don't know about the hi output alt. I may buy one if completeley ness. And the humm happens when I piggyback the 2 amps. I find it hard to believe that both my outputs would be bad on the amps causing the humm, because I did try both amps

Input- output. Output-input and got same thing. And how dobi strap the amps... I have never done that, I've heard of it but never seen it or tried it

Man that is awesome thank you so much, I really hope this will improve my sound problem.. my only question is, do I wire all 4 subs into the master amp or wire the way I have it now, 2 subs per amp wired down to 1 ohm?

Ok ill be sure to look at the manual again, but yea thanks for the help guys, and I am going to do the big three install here in the day or so, I have to look at my receipt from when I bought my alt. I can't remember if I got the stock alt. Or a high output, but if I didn't, that will be the next thing I buy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.