Wiring 2 amps

Participant count
  • Participant list

samshaver18

I have 2 ssl amps. One is a 2 channel 2000w and the other is a mono channel 1500w I also have two 1200rms 12 inch subs. How should I wire the amps so I only have to run 1 power cable from the battery? And what do I do about the RCA's, the remote wire, and the ground from the 2nd amp?

To bridge the amps you should have 2 identical amps but if one is for highs and the other for subs what I did was bought a distribution block with 0 awg in and 3 outs on it. Far as remote wire I just ran it from on amp to the other.

1 is master amp, one is the slave amp. the way my amps are set up yours may be different. but I just put everything in default on the slave amp and ran rcas from the slave to the master amp for double the power.

To bridge the amps you should have 2 identical amps but if one is for highs and the other for subs what I did was bought a distribution block with 0 awg in and 3 outs on it. Far as remote wire I just ran it from on amp to the other.
1 is master amp, one is the slave amp. the way my amps are set up yours may be different. but I just put everything in default on the slave amp and ran rcas from the slave to the master amp for double the power.
He never mentioned strapping amps. You're just confusing the situation. There's no master/slave unless they're strapped.

Sam, it would be helpful if you'd just give us the model numbers of your amps.

Brands like Soundstorm will get nothing but hate around here, but there's no reason they won't work.

It's important to realize however, the peak power ratings you're looking at are completely meaningless.

The ev2.2000 (guessing) for example has a pair of 20A fuses. It's good for 300-400w rms at minimum impedance. With a pair of 4 ohm speakers it would give you 100-125w per speaker.

The evo1500.1 (also guessing) has a single 30A fuse -- it might give you 250w rms at minimum impedance.

As for your setup -- what are you running with each amp? The 2 channel would work well with a pair of good component speakers. If you're trying to run a sub with each amp you're going to have a lot of problems with phasing and sound quality. The mono will run both subs, but only at 100-125w each.

I would get a 4 awg amp kit -- you can either get a dual amp kit which should contain a distribution block - or you can get a single amp kit and add a separate distribution block (fused) and some 8 awg to go from the d-block to the amps.

You'd run the 4 awg primary wire from the battery to the distribution block which should be located in the vicinity of the amps. The d-block should have two 8 awg wires fused at 30-50A each feeding each amp. The grounds can go to the same spot on the chassis.

The remote wire can just be daisy-chained from one amp to the next -- hu to first amp and a wire from the first amp to the second.

Rca's - since neither of those amps have rca outputs you can just use a pair of y-cables - 1f in to 2f out and use short patch cables from the y-cable to each amp -- again, it would make sense for main rca run to extend to a point near the amps keeping the patch cables from the y-cables to the amps as short as reasonably possible.

He never mentioned strapping amps. You're just confusing the situation. There's no master/slave unless they're strapped.
Sam, it would be helpful if you'd just give us the model numbers of your amps.

Brands like Soundstorm will get nothing but hate around here, but there's no reason they won't work.

It's important to realize however, the peak power ratings you're looking at are completely meaningless.

The ev2.2000 (guessing) for example has a pair of 20A fuses. It's good for 300-400w rms at minimum impedance. With a pair of 4 ohm speakers it would give you 100-125w per speaker.

The evo1500.1 (also guessing) has a single 30A fuse -- it might give you 250w rms at minimum impedance.

As for your setup -- what are you running with each amp? The 2 channel would work well with a pair of good component speakers. If you're trying to run a sub with each amp you're going to have a lot of problems with phasing and sound quality. The mono will run both subs, but only at 100-125w each.

I would get a 4 awg amp kit -- you can either get a dual amp kit which should contain a distribution block - or you can get a single amp kit and add a separate distribution block (fused) and some 8 awg to go from the d-block to the amps.

You'd run the 4 awg primary wire from the battery to the distribution block which should be located in the vicinity of the amps. The d-block should have two 8 awg wires fused at 30-50A each feeding each amp. The grounds can go to the same spot on the chassis.

The remote wire can just be daisy-chained from one amp to the next -- hu to first amp and a wire from the first amp to the second.

Rca's - since neither of those amps have rca outputs you can just use a pair of y-cables - 1f in to 2f out and use short patch cables from the y-cable to each amp -- again, it would make sense for main rca run to extend to a point near the amps keeping the patch cables from the y-cables to the amps as short as reasonably possible.
Look out the car audio god is here to save the day. Bridging vs strapping, same thing and he never mentioned what he planned on doing with two amps I assumed he was bridging them. He asked what to do with the rca wire. If one amp was for highs and other was for subs I'd assume he knew where they'd go

i'd go ahead and run 1/0 now and split to 4. that way when he is not satisfied with the output and decides to upgrade to more powerful amps he doesn't have to start all over. i have a feeling his expectations on performance may be higher than the end result. i'd rather run power, ground and distribution once, even if it's overkill for the current situation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.