Electrical Issue With New Install

Participant count
  • Participant list

K. Silverfox

USA
I just bought my first sub setup, and I am having trouble with the installation. I bought the following:

Soundqubed Q1-1200.2 amp(870 rms at 2 ohms)
Soundqubed HDS 212 (600 rms)
Sounddqubed 4 Gauge Amp Kit
I currently have the amplifier and sub wired up in the trunk of my 98 Saturn SL2. The sub is wired to 2 ohms. The power wire is connected to the positive terminal of the fusebox since the ring terminals will not fit on the battery terminals.

When I start the car, I cannot convince the amplifier to turn on. I have checked the voltage in multiple places with a multi-meter. At the battery connection, I have over 12 volts. The primary fuse has over 12 volts on both ends of the fuse holder. The remote wire shows 12 volts going to the amp as well.

When I check the power wire to ground at the amp terminals, I only have around 7.6-7.9 volts. I have traced the entirety of the power wire and could find no damage to it. The ground is less than 3 feet and is connected to the sheet metal in the trunk by a self tapping screw. Before attaching the ground, I made sure to remove all of the paint from the metal.

I cannot find any reason for this amplifier not to turn on. Any help is very appreciated.

try referencing the ground on your amps set screw and then check power at the amp + and then the fuse output while referencing the same ground. its either a loss at the power wire between your amp and fuse or your ground wire

I checked the fuse yesterday and got 12 volts on both ends. I checked it today and it was down to 7.9. I put in my spare fuse, and the amp powered right on. The subs are almost too quiet to hear, but I suspect once the gains are set and ready to go, that won't be a problem. Thanks for the idea to check the fuse to ground. I likely would not have tried it again without your suggestion.

what type of fuse are you using? i have a strong feeling that you're using AGU... bad solder joints internally in the fuse is beyond a common problem with those. if so, upgrade to midi anl so you don't deal with this again in the future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

K. Silverfox

K. Silverfox
USA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
keep_hope_alive