Wireing for 2400 Watts!!!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

Geminidj2000
10+ year member

The Bad Luck Kid
Denver
Im gonna be running 2 Jbl 1200 watts amps at 2ohms.... how can i wire this will I need to buy 2 amp kits and 2 capacitators or will i be able to use a multi amp kit? i was looking at some kits the best ive seen is a 1400watt 8 guage kit if I get 2 of them will they be able to bridge down to 1ohms if the amp hit 1200 at 2ohms..... or should i go with 2 1600 4 guage wires......but 4 guage wires are preaty big tho and im gonna have to hide them under the side door pannel and thru a small opening in the back cause my seat doesnt come down any suggestion on amp kits or sizes will be apreciated

You could get 0/1 or 2 gauge wire for the power and ground, wire them into distro blocks and run 4 gauge wire from the distro blocks to the amp. I wouldnt recommend running a 4 gauge from the battery itself.

You can then just buy RCA cables and remote wire to hook the amps up to the HU and bump away. good luck

I have a amp hooked up already to it so i have remote and rca cabels hooked up alreay were can i find a 2 guage power cord? and why would u recomend running a 4 guage power cord?

I have a amp hooked up already to it so i have remote and rca cabels hooked up alreay were can i find a 2 guage power cord?
You're gonna need another set if youre going to install another amp, and for power and ground wires look here http://www.sounddomain.com/shop/list.pl?type_plural=Power+Wires&x=10&y=14&start=1&show=82

and why would u recomend running a 4 guage power cord?
Because your amp most likely only accepts up to 4 gauge for the power and ground connections. And since youre only wiring it a very short distance (distro block to an amp) a 0/1 gauge wire really isnt necessary. Just make sure you dont use 4 gauge from the battery terminal, it wont be able to carry enough current for 2400 watts. And you're gonna need an ANL fuse and fuseholder too if you dont already have one

good luck

btw - what kinda subs you got?

right now I have sony (lol) next week im getting one of the amp and chrmas ill get one of the subs probably kicker l7 15' or 12' then when i egt padi agin ill get the other amp the the pther sub

Hey can u do me a favor and list everthing i would need o yeah and im getting Jbl amps and they accept either 8 or 4 guage power cords

Hey can u do me a favor and list everthing i would need o yeah and im getting Jbl amps and they accept either 8 or 4 guage power cords
I'd go for 2 L7 15's. This is what you would need:

Run 0/1 or 2 gauge power wire from the battery to a distro block. Within 12 inches of the battery, hook up an ANL fuseholder with the approrpiate size fuse (add up the total amps of your 2 amplifiers and get as close to that number as possible without going under). From the distro block, run a 4 gauge wire to the power connection of the one amp, do the same for the other.

Find a bare metal spot somewhere on your chassis as close to the amp as possible. Sand it down first making sure its completely bare metal. Connect 0/1 or 2 gauge ground wire to that spot and into a ground distro block. From the distro block, run a 4 gauge wire to the ground connection on one of the amps, do the same for the others. Try to keep these wires as short as possible.

Does your HU have a subwoofer output? If so, run some RCA's from that output (you can use another preout like the rear if your HU doesnt have a sub or non-fading output) then into the trunk. On each connection, use Y RCA splitters that have one female and 2 male ends. Plug a splitter into each connection, so you now have 4 RCA's total, plug them into their respective amps.

Connect the remote wire to the remote turn on wire from your HU, run it to the trunk. Connect some remote wire to each of the amps remote connections. You can either solder all 3 of these wires together, or get a connector that is specific for 3 wires (i forgot the name of it). Soldering is easiest though, just dont use too much.

The L7 15's are dual 4 ohm, so youre gonna want to wire them in parallel. On one sub, connect the pos to pos and neg to neg, then wire it up to the amps speaker leads. Do the same for the other sub and amp.

Is your car running on a stock alternator? If so, you're definitely gonna want to get a higher output alternator. Go to a local shop and see if they can re-wind it for you, i'd say at least 150 amps. A nice new battery is also a must, check out Optima, they make great products.

I'm pretty sure thats it, someone let me know if I'm leaving something out.

Oh yeah, those kicker 15's are only 1000RMS, while the JBL puts out 1200 (i think it was measured to actually put out close to 1300, not sure though). Be careful with the gains so you dont overpower the subs. It's gonna be harder than normal because you have to tune both of the amps gains to the exact same level. To do this, after you get everything installed, turn the gain completely down. Turn your HU volume up to the loudest you ever plan on listening. In your case, i'd put it a notch or 2 higher than that. Then very slowly turn up the gain on each amp until you hear distortion, the moment you begin to hear the subs distort, turn the gain down a little bit on each amp and you should be good to go. It'll probably be less than 1/2 way up.

good luck

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...&category=32808
sorry 1 last thing will the amp kit on this page work?
Well first off, youd still need a few more parts since youre installing 2 amps, thats only for one amp. And second, while it would work, it wouldnt provide optimal performance. You're spending a lot of $$ on your system, you might as well spend an extra 50 or 75 bucks to get the proper wires and installation accessories.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.