Wired Garaged Door opener to alarm brain

Participant count
  • Participant list

the727kid
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
St. Pete, FL
Pretty basic mod I have been wanting to do for a while. I always leave my car in the garage and if someone picks me up or my girlfriend drives, I have to bring a house key, which I hate doing. I usually just bring my car keys, so being able to to open my garage door with my alarm FOB is very convenient for me.

I will assume this is different for every garage door opener but this is how mine was. I took it apart to first see how it worked. I quickly realized that when I pressed the button all it did was connect to circuits on the motherboard.

DSC03888_zps671d6270.jpg

DSC03889_zpsb42618c0.jpg

Once I realized this I immediately knew what to do. I just needed a relay triggered by an auxiliary output on my alarm.

First step was to "carefully" solder on wires to each of the connecting points.

DSC03892_zpse7919b7c.jpg

DSC03893_zpsceb7dd9c.jpg

Next was to wire up the relay. The wires coming from the opener go to points 30 and 87 on the relay. Then 85 goes to a constant 12v source (easy to tap from alarm brain). And 86 to the auxiliary channel of your choice on the brain. I choose channel 4 because on my remote I can change it to say "Garage Door" Instead of channel four.

IMG_20130301_175052_zps7b8572dd.jpg

To test it, just trigger your aux channel and see if the light comes on the opener. It works perfectly for me.

The only issue right now is I will have to take it out to replace the battery. When I get a little bit more free time I will fix this issue by wiring up a 12v source with resistors to match the voltage output of the battery inside the opener.

Nice, I am assuming it could be done with pretty much anything that opens the garage door. Way better than the crappy overpriced DEI module.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.