Wire Help

Participant count
  • Participant list

etm34
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Kentucky
Ok so im about to upgrade my system and im going to get a new car soon, either a corolla s or a scion tc, kinda irrelevant, so currently i have a SSA dcon on a focal red 1 amp and a arc audio kar 400.4. Im about to get a ppi art series 404 to replace the kar, as i think the kar is a clone and not good quality. Im also about to get two 10in dayton ho's and an amp that will push them, so 1200rms. Right now with both the focal and the kar i have no headlight diming or anything wrong with the electrical system and i have 4ga wire ran to everything, but im sure the strain on the battery isnt good for it..... so teach me what i need to know so i do my upgrade right!!!

quick look:

PPI 404 art series amp

2x dayton ho's: going to get

dont have yet, but amp with 1200rms@2ohms

So here are my questions,

1. What wire will i need to go with into the distribution blocks? i was going to go for knu kca 1/0 and then i have distribution blocks to take it down to 4ga kca to both amps, will this be enough for both amps?

2. Will i have to add an extra battery to my car or a capacitor?

3. Will i need to do the big three upgrade, and what gauge wire would i need and how much? i will be leasing so the big 3 may not be an option......

4. What wire will i need to go from my amp to the ho's, i was going to use 10ga or 8ga karma ss

5. what size fuses should i use in distribution blocks.

6. Would i need an ho alternator?

7. Is there anything else that i should consider?

8. Will my car catch fire? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

o teach me what i need to know about the electrical systems and wiring, hardcore data, like the math, is always welcomed too, i want to learn all i can and dont mind long explanations or chats!!

1. The Knu KCA with a distro block is plenty, you'll be fine with that.

2. you will never need a capacitor, as they don't actually do what you think they do. And at those power levels, you probably won't need an extra battery either. You might benefit from a better battery under the hood, but either way, I wouldn't worry about that until the system gets installed.

3. Yes, do the big 3. It won't void any leasing contract or warranty. You leave the factory wire, and just add additional wire. Since you won't be upgrading the alternator, you'll likely be fine with OFC 4ga (i.e. Knu Kolossus Fleks 4 ga.)

4. The Karma SS 10 gauge should be plenty addequate for the amp to subs. If you're amping the door speakers too, I think you'll be fine with 14 gauge for those, others will insist on 12 gauge.

5. Fuse for the capacity of the wire. For the KCA, it's either 200a or 250a, I can't recall. For the 4 gauge runs, it's usually around 120a-150a.

6. You certainly shouldn't need an HO alt. And if you're leasing, it's likely not an option. IF you do end up BUYING your car, and do think you'll get a bigger system with an HO alt in the future, then by all means, do your big 3 in 1/0.

7. I'm too lazy to think about it.

8. Not unless you fail at life.

And last but not least.... if you want to learn as much as you can and don't mind taking a long time to do so, then read this site: Basic Car Audio Electronics

And last but not least.... if you want to learn as much as you can and don't mind taking a long time to do so, then read this site: Basic Car Audio Electronics
thank you so much for answering all of my questions and helping me out! Thanks for the big 3 help with the leasing deal, i thought i had to change out all of the wires to new ones, but i havent fully looked into it yet. Ill look into that website and read up on some things!!

Nope, it's usually recommended to leave the factory wires to avoid any computer problems or screwing anything up. You simply add on your new wires.
gotcha, how much wire does it usually take to do the big three?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.