Wire and Speaker Combined Ohms

Participant count
  • Participant list

RealSawyer

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have a basic setup. Mech-less receiver, 4 channel 2 Ohm stable amp, four 6.5" (4 ohm) speakers. I want to wire 2 more different brand (4 Ohm) speakers parallel in the front. Everything I've seen says this will equal 2 Ohms at the amp.(Two 4 ohms speakers in parallel: 4 divided by 2 = 2 ohms.) But, when I put a meter on the speakers, the old speakers read 3.5 ohms. The speakers I want to add read 4.7 ohms.
When I add 6' of wire to each speaker and check them together at the amp end of the wires, they read 4.7 ohms.
Going by just what's printed on the speaker and dividing by 2, this setup would be bad if my amp was 4 ohm minimum.
But including wires it looks okay. I'm just a little confused

I have a basic setup. Mech-less receiver, 4 channel 2 Ohm stable amp, four 6.5" (4 ohm) speakers. I want to wire 2 more different brand (4 Ohm) speakers parallel in the front. Everything I've seen says this will equal 2 Ohms at the amp.(Two 4 ohms speakers in parallel: 4 divided by 2 = 2 ohms.) But, when I put a meter on the speakers, the old speakers read 3.5 ohms. The speakers I want to add read 4.7 ohms.
When I add 6' of wire to each speaker and check them together at the amp end of the wires, they read 4.7 ohms.
Going by just what's printed on the speaker and dividing by 2, this setup would be bad if my amp was 4 ohm minimum.
But including wires it looks okay. I'm just a little confused

It's 4 ohm or 2 ohm nominal. The actual range for a 4 ohm coil is something like 3.5-4.3 ohms or something. Your amp should be just fine.

Keep in mind, it's not really recommended to run 2 different speaker models on the same channel of an amp. The speakers will have different sound characteristics and can end up sounding kinda bad.

Matt

It's 4 ohm or 2 ohm nominal. The actual range for a 4 ohm coil is something like 3.5-4.3 ohms or something. Your amp should be just fine.

Keep in mind, it's not really recommended to run 2 different speaker models on the same channel of an amp. The speakers will have different sound characteristics and can end up sounding kinda bad.

Matt

Matt

Thanks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...