Some help please

Participant count
  • Participant list

Meandjim

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hello and thank you for clicking on my first post. I know very little, if anything, about car audio and I wonder if I can ask this community for some helpful advice. I will do my best to explain - here goes

I have 40 yr old Mercedes W123 that I use to haul my very young son and his stuff around Bangkok and further afield.I am English btw. He loves music. My Merc had an old pioneer 1din unit (is it a head unit?) Set in the dash and a massive black box in the boot (an amp) with huge cables. 6.5" speakers set into the front doors, some small speakers on top of the dash and a pair of 6" X 9" speakers set into the rear parcel shelf and I almost forgot the 12 disc CD changer that was resting under the amp in the boot. It is all 20 yrs old and in a very poor condition. I didn't use it but it would work. I have isolated the power and disconnected it all. So that's some background info.

I want to have a 1din unit and replace the speakers. I'd like to outline what I want and ask for any guidance on 'best practice' and what to avoid. I am competent with electrics and automotive work.

Because the door panels have been cut for the existing old 6.5" speakers I plan on using the same size. I don't want to damage the door trim any more and I can't do a repair to the trim without it noticing. Is this ok for something that doesn't have an amp? What spec speakers should I look at?

The rear speakers are just huge heavy things. 6 X 9 oval and not secured - in an accident they could come out and do serious harm. And they are in a bad state. I think I will repair the holes with some plywood pieces and set in a matching set of 6.5" speakers (as the front ones). I can trim the shelf with new carpet. Or should I use a different size? Again, what spec speakers should I look at?

Can you confirm the wire diameter for the speakers?

The replacement 'head unit' needs to do the following. I only want to stream music from my phone (android but sometimes apple)using the 3.5mm jack or USB. I use YouTube music app or another radio station app. Also I want to use an SD card should I save albums as an MP3 file. That's it. I do not want a tuner (listen to Thai radio and you'll understand) or a cd player and do not want Bluetooth call answering. It just needs to be switch on and offable and have volume control. I guess some sort of graphic equaliser may be good and help get the most from the phone source. have seen such units, they are very shallow, just 7 or 8 cm deep. And very cheap, so cheap I wonder if they are worth bothering with. Some have ISO connection and some have a different looking connection. I am totally fine with soldering in what ever connection is needed.

I live in Bangkok and can buy online very easy. I just don't know for sure what to buy or even if this is the best solution.

Budget wise, I'll pay whatever indeed to for a nice workable solution.

I guess many of you may be smiling at my concious incompetence. It's always better to ask.

Thank you for reading, bless you all.

Best bet is to just replace everything exactly as what you have now. For single DIN, I suggest Kenwood, JVC, or Alpine. I would not mess with Android units for they are yet touch and go in regards to connection reliability.
Regarding the 6x9s in the parcel shelf, I would stay with that format as they produce better lows than 6.5s. I am sure you can secure them in the existing hole. If it is a hack job, you can overlay it with that carpeted plywood.
I think you will find that headunit power will be sufficient for your needs. As for which specific model you should get, I have no clue. There are so many that picking one is a tall order. Just add your preference in the search criteria and you should be good. When you get a Bluetooth unit, handsfree calling is standard. Even if you do not want it now, I am sure you will learn to appreciate it's convenience. Good luck. If any Qs, I'm all ears.

Best bet is to just replace everything exactly as what you have now. For single DIN, I suggest Kenwood, JVC, or Alpine. I would not mess with Android units for they are yet touch and go in regards to connection reliability.
Regarding the 6x9s in the parcel shelf, I would stay with that format as they produce better lows than 6.5s. I am sure you can secure them in the existing hole. If it is a hack job, you can overlay it with that carpeted plywood.
I think you will find that headunit power will be sufficient for your needs. As for which specific model you should get, I have no clue. There are so many that picking one is a tall order. Just add your preference in the search criteria and you should be good. When you get a Bluetooth unit, handsfree calling is standard. Even if you do not want it now, I am sure you will learn to appreciate it's convenience. Good luck. If any Qs, I'm all ears.
Thank you for commenting. I really appreciate it. Yes I'll stick with the same size speakers and wire it all new. Have a good weekend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...