Speaker wire conundrum with modern cars.

Red Dog

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hi all,
Upgrading the system in my 2016 Kia Sportage (using equipment from previous car as I'm being tight and it still works fine).

Being a modern car it has a wiring harness between the door and cabin, not the old hole with a rubber grommet that we were able to thread new speaker wire through.
What are the options to get around this to retain using larger gauge wire from the amp to the speakers in the doors?

One option I have seen a video of is to drill a hole in the wiring harness to thread the larger wire through. I'm not a big fan of doing this but if it is the only option then it may have to be done.

Thanks
Red Dog

I usually drill it, loom it, and grommet it too when going into the doors. Sometimes trying to use loom makes it almost impossible to do. in those instances electrical tape or Tesa tape the wire to/in parallel with existing runs usually does the trick. then make the new hole close to the other at both ends.

Last edited:
Or you use 9 wire wire from stinger or metra. You run it from the wiring harness that will plug into the aftermarket harness and it comes with a blue remote wire as well. It is about a inch in diameter and 18 gauge. Can handle 150 watts easily and runs through the OEM wiring which can handle that 100-150 watts easily enough. On my 2003 Explorer and a couple others I've used it and works great and added bonus it is OFC as well.

I don't like to mess with the OEM stuff at all. For the 16 foot runs to my 6.5's, 14 gauge twisted pair OFC, for the mids and tweets, 16 gauge twisted pair OFC. Toyota and some manufactures use or have started using CCA wire which in and of itself isn't bad thing but I like knowing it's all decent quality twisted OFC wire, that's just me. I figure if I'm dropping several grand on the system, that is the least I can do.

Last edited:
Drill a hole and use the proper protective split loom and hole grommets to keep the outer speaker jacket from knicks and cuts, give just enough for door to open and close properly without stretching and not too long as to kink the wiring.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...