Will this be a problem? Headunit + Speakers

Participant count
  • Participant list

perplex51

hey guys,

recently been looking around for speakers for my car, ive installed a head unit in it, a Pioneer AVH-P4350DVD, and im currently looking for new speakers and im looking at the Pioneer TS-D1720C

my question is, my head unit is 4x50 watts, and the speakers are 60 Nominal input power, will i have a issue? will i over heat my head unit? i wont be cranking them to the max, just loud once and while, i know the best option is to buy a amp, i might do that down the track, i just want to know if my head unit and speakers will be ok together?

thanks

Your head unit won't put out 50 watts per channel. No head unit will. It will put out 18 watts per channel and won't damage any speakers unless you listen with the volume past ~60% often.

Normally, half way up on a head unit is the maximum undistorted volume level. Unless you use the loudness button and crank the bass setting up.

thanks

i think it goes up to 50 the volume so if i stay under 30, what i normally do it should be fine, and as long as i dont distort them all the time.

so all the amp will do is make me play them louder

am i right in saying, the speakers will be fine since the head unit cant over power them, they might just be quiet?

will the be the same loudness as stock speakers?

thanks
i think it goes up to 50 the volume so if i stay under 30, what i normally do it should be fine, and as long as i dont distort them all the time.

so all the amp will do is make me play them louder

am i right in saying, the speakers will be fine since the head unit cant over power them, they might just be quiet?

will the be the same loudness as stock speakers?
No, I didn't say the head unit's amp can't damage a speaker. I said it can't if you stay below clipping. Ergo... 60% volume level. Sometimes that number is 50% though, so just be conscientious and okay it safe. You're a lot better off sending too much clean power (to a certain point) to a speaker than sending low power that's clipped.

And no, they shouldn't be the same as factory speakers. They should sound better and play louder... albeit not much louder or better without an outboard amplifier.

Clipping is basically the speaker distorting? right? sounds like a crappy speaker with to much power?

sound better good, and louder i dont mind, im guessing the head unit can power the new speakers just as loud and the stock?

Clipping often cannot be heard. But of course, when it is audible it is also at a dangerous level.

And yes, you'll have as much and a bit more sound quality and volume level as you did with the factory setup.

oh, that no good that cant often be heard, well im happy with the volume now. im guessing the head unit will work abit harder though at the same volume?

how do you tell if the speakers are clipping if you cant hear it?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.