Will I regret getting my system installed at Best Buy?

You know, this might be coming a little late, but I wouldn't get it installed at Best Buy. I'd actually take it back and tell them to uninstall it and give me a refund...

J/K, but seriously, next time around, get a car audio specific place to do your installation.

Got the truck back. Everything is fine aside from the left rear door; neither the speaker nor the tweeter is functioning properly. There's a faint hissing noise but nothing else coming out of either of them. I immediately brought it back and he gave me a pretty weak excuse about them needing to close at 9.15 on the dot for "safety" reasons, so tomorrow I need to go back to get the wiring fixed on that door.
Aside from that, everything seems to have been installed well enough. There are no wires visible and it looks professionally done. The system itself sounds great, though I'm sure it will sound better when the other speakers are working. I will post some pictures tomorrow - by the time I got it back it was already too dark out to see much.
faint hissing?

thats not good.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

No, it's terrible. The speaker isn't even working. I was alarmed, but he said even if it's the speaker and not the wiring, they have the same model in store and he'll just swap out whatever isn't working. I mean, it should have been done right first time round, but whatever. At least it's going to get fixed (hopefully).

I guess to answer my own question, I do regret getting it installed at BestBuy. It ended up costing me about $540 because the first estimate didn't include any custom work on the doors (tweeters mounted) or the parts he apparently needed, of which there were four. I'm sure he probably did need them, but for that kind of money I could have got a custom shop with a good reputation to do it. If anyone asked me in future I would advise against using BestBuy for a full install.

No, it's terrible. The speaker isn't even working. I was alarmed, but he said even if it's the speaker and not the wiring, they have the same model in store and he'll just swap out whatever isn't working. I mean, it should have been done right first time round, but whatever. At least it's going to get fixed (hopefully).
I guess to answer my own question, I do regret getting it installed at BestBuy. It ended up costing me about $540 because the first estimate didn't include any custom work on the doors (tweeters mounted) or the parts he apparently needed, of which there were four. I'm sure he probably did need them, but for that kind of money I could have got a custom shop with a good reputation to do it. If anyone asked me in future I would advise against using BestBuy for a full install.
damn from 350 to 540?

aw.. I coulda made some money owell.. hope all went well.. and your battery is under your hood.. black=negative Red=positive.. the hissing is probably because they do the same thing in each install... rca/remote/power wire all bundled and zip tied together..

please post up pics of the "custom" work they did

Where did they mount the tweeters read the receipt and see what they charged you.. I hate watching people get ripped.. hell they won't even check what you bring them sometimes and assume you won't have it and charge you.. If they mounted the tweeters in stock location and used only the the install equipment that came with the tweeters ask for a manager..

aw.. I coulda made some money owell.. hope all went well.. and your battery is under your hood.. black=negative Red=positive.. the hissing is probably because they do the same thing in each install... rca/remote/power wire all bundled and zip tied together..
yup i have seen that time and time again. They just dont quite grasp that the power wire and RCA wires need to be on opposite sides of the car.

Yeah, I guess I am what they refer to as a "sucker", huh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
i would of refused to pay that with out knowing before hand. did they even tell you that before they did the work?

Yeah, I guess I am what they refer to as a "sucker", huh //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
ya depending on this custom work they may of royally screwed you. that and the fact they didnt test to make sure everything worked when it was done...

Oh well. As long as the problem with the speakers is fixed tomorrow I can deal with being ripped off. The other two custom shops I went to tried to rip me off even worse. I'm not getting a great impression of American businesses, tbh :/

well look at it this way.. if they don't fix the speaker problem ask for a FULL REFUND.. if they say no ask for the manager.. Tell them you paid to have a SYSTEM installed that worked.. not a few things that worked.. tell them you wouldn't have spent the money without having everything together..

yup i have seen that time and time again. They just dont quite grasp that the power wire and RCA wires need to be on opposite sides of the car.
well hell even if you are too lazy to run them on different sides of the vehicle don't put them as close as humanly possible.. atleast run the remote/rcas under the carpet in the middle and the power along the sides.. that way they are out of the magnetic field of the wire

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.