why two subs for normal use?

jcraft
10+ year member

Hi All,

Just wondering on this. I currently have a pt cruiser with a single 12" sub in the rear fed byu a 200 watt amp. I have never been in a vehicle or heard a setup in a vehicle that had two subs so I have nothing to base this on. I know for mine when volume on HU is up to 3/4 ( all speakers have separate amp as well) the system is quite loud and the sub slams pretty hard to the point where you feel it and the airflow as well. I couldn't even imagine what two subs would sound like at that volume. Can people even listen to it this way or do you need to turn the gain way down on the subs then. if anyone out there has had one 12" and then went to two let me know what the difference is. IT is hard to believe if your not in competition, that you need this much sub power in a vehicle. Maybe someday I'll try it. Thx

The definition of loud is different for each person. Also, there are single subs that can get louder than two crappy subs. so to answer your question, only you can be the judge for how much louder an extra sub would be.

go to your local car audio shop and see if you can listen to an installed 2 woofer system. An employee will probably have one if not a customer that just had one installed would most likely love to show theirs off.

I'd say it's mostly personal preference. I've had a few different sub setups, including one with six tens. So far, I prefer the way a single larger-sized sub sounds the most.

go to your local car audio shop and see if you can listen to an installed 2 woofer system. An employee will probably have one if not a customer that just had one installed would most likely love to show theirs off.
This is going to mean literally nothing to the OP. You can't listen to a system and accurately determine with no foreknowledge "this must have 2 subwoofers instead of 1". People like to run 2 subs for a lot of reasons. A lot of people don't know that one good sub can do as much as two lesser subs if it's done better(ported box instead of sealed, better match of sub to the desired performance, etc.)

Really a Car audio Shop, NO just NO. If op is being serious (i doubt) He needs to Find someone who knows what they are doing and could possibly help him a SHOP is not that place.. 90 percent of the time.

Really a Car audio Shop, NO just NO. If op is being serious (i doubt) He needs to Find someone who knows what they are doing and could possibly help him a SHOP is not that place.. 90 percent of the time.
not all shops are crooks and idiots. greedy, yes. incompetent, mostly no.

He has 1 sub on 200 Watts. I am sure a car audio shop will have a setup that is "louder". While a lot of shops may not do the best job, you are way off thinking they will not have a decent 2 sub setup.

He has 1 sub on 200 Watts. I am sure a car audio shop will have a setup that is "louder". While a lot of shops may not do the best job, you are way off thinking they will not have a decent 2 sub setup.
You are way off!!

It's just a good thing to do if you can. It lowers distortion for a given output and you spread the power over two motors. Lots of other benefits.

This is going to mean literally nothing to the OP. You can't listen to a system and accurately determine with no foreknowledge "this must have 2 subwoofers instead of 1". People like to run 2 subs for a lot of reasons. A lot of people don't know that one good sub can do as much as two lesser subs if it's done better(ported box instead of sealed, better match of sub to the desired performance, etc.)
so listening to different setups would not be advised? And if not at a local shop then where?

your avatar contains the perfect azz. and to the op i have never been satisfied in my personal experiance unless i was running one 15" sub. Thats just my personal opinion though. I know a great deal of people that would and are satisfied with just one 8" sub. Its just personal preferance.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.