Why pay more for a JL audio amp?

It works the other way as well, at the opposite end of the spectrum...when you're trying to justify the difference between a $20,000 SME turntable and a $100,000 Continuum one //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
No matter what the price is, it all comes down to what you can fit in your budget, and getting the most performance for what you want to do in those constraints.
yes but "what is better/best performance" isnt the same as "what is best for me" or "what is best for the money" or the all time forum fav "it's better because my friends never heard of it and it can't be found locally":laugh:.

You all what to hear a difference in the way amps sound. Put a class D amp on some components and then put a A/B amp on them and tell me there ain't a difference. I put one of those new pioneer premier class D amps on my components and it sounds flat as F U C K. No color or nothing. It's clean as hell but just sounds dull compared to the A/B amp I had in there. It sounds like you have your EQ set to flat all the time.

so wat specs should i look at when shopping for an amp?

Fuse amperage per dollar, crossover, birth sheets/test reports, other features, build quality, reliability, warranty, resale value... I don't pay attention to distortion figures, S/N, damping factor... I've never heard any difference between solid state amps unclipped. As some others have mentioned, if one amp has more power than another you can hear that.

It is true that some amps will sound different clipped, especially class A... the old soundstreams had that soft clipping... the distortion curves are different, more gradual... but a more powerful amp kept under clipping will sound better anyway.

Ok this is what I don't understand...
A kicker 1000.1 puts out over 1000W RMS of real watts, usually birthed at around 1050 or so. Price: $200-$280.

A JL 1000.1 may put out slightly more. People pay $450 for these USED.

Can someone please explain why anyone would pay more for the same real wattage, beside the fancy schmancy brand name? Is it just that people who buy JL products are dolts, or what?

What is the difference between 2 amps that put out the same real wattage, both considered quality brands? Why would anyone in their right mind pay more for the same thing with a different emblem slapped on it?
Then I must be nuts for spending 500 on my USED "25 watt" Linear Power 2.2HV.

lawl

Then I must be nuts for spending 500 on my USED "25 watt" Linear Power 2.2HV.
lawl
I must be nuts to spend $800 in parts to build a pair of 8 watt amps //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Or spend $550 to buy the 2 watt stereo amp that came before those //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

What does that amp do for you at $500 that others won't?
*shrugs* I guess some people just aren't satisfied with a generic, cookie-cutter design...

*shrugs* I guess some people just aren't satisfied with a generic, cookie-cutter design...
I either can't or don't know how to hear the difference. My purchased come from specific needs, aethetics, looking cool on the forum, etc. I feel I am not of the few who actually admits those kinds of things....

I have a question about the variable impedence same wattage thing with the JL's. Does this mean that no matter what the dynamic impedence of the driver is it will deliver the exact same wattage? And I mean dynamic impedence as in when it is playing music and what have you.

As long as that impedance stays within that 1-4 ohm or whatever range, the power will be the same. Depending on the enclosure, the actual impedance at any one time may be higher than that. For example, one octave above tuning in a bass reflex, you could have a 9 or 10 ohm impedance spike...obviously the amp isn't going to be doing the same amount of power it could at 4 ohms.

But it'd also be doing a lot more than a design that maxes out at 1 ohm, either.

I can't believe that company is still in business. What does that amp do for you at $500 that others won't?
Unfortunately they no longer are in business, but they still have a high demand to people that want LP amps. Their more powerful amps, IE 3.2HV, 4.1HVS and 8002SW still sell for over 1000, even on ebay.

the sad part is i'm pretty sure that's the ebay price. don't worry a bunch of people are going to post "you're just a hater" for using your head.
Yep, I got my second one on ebay, the first one I paid quite a bit less though, guy didn't know what it was worth. I'm not going to call anyone a hater for not liking them, or not wanting to spend the money on them. I can totally understand why someone wouldn't want to, their a bit more expensive then amps within the same power range, and they look plain as day.

The difference between the majority of amps today, LP amps were designed in the USA and hand built here as well, some of their amps used military grade components, and they'll probably outlast 90% of whats on the market today. I know of a few people over on DIYMA running LP amps that are over 15 years old and still working like they did the day when they were bought.

I either can't or don't know how to hear the difference. My purchased come from specific needs, aethetics, looking cool on the forum, etc. I feel I am not of the few who actually admits those kinds of things....
Call me wrong, but when I replaced the Next VRz4.400 that was powering my mids, with my 2.2HV, I noticed a difference. The improvement in midbass was the biggest difference, overall it just sounded better. Granted that probably came from the next giving me about 40 watts, to the LP giving me about 200, but the difference was audible //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I bought the LPs because they fit my needs, one powers my mids with 200-250 watts per side, the other powers my subs, giving me about 8-1000 watts rms, both ratings and 8 ohms. Yes they were a bit expensive, but if used properly, I'll never have to buy amps again. And if I feel the need to ever sell them, I can easily make a profit on them.

Granted that probably came from the next giving me about 40 watts, to the LP giving me about 200, but the difference was audible //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Just be sure you explain that "the higher power output sounds better" rather than "the Linear Power amp sounds better" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By the way, Linear Power = overpriced.

You're just paying for the name.

There are countless amps that output the same or more power for less //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

You're just a mindless marketing-driven drone without a lick of audio knowledge because you bought a Linear Power amp when you could have spent less money and achieved the same results.

Just seemed like a good time to use the anti-JL conjecture against another brand //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Just be sure you explain that "the higher power output sounds better" rather than "the Linear Power amp sounds better" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

By the way, Linear Power = overpriced.

You're just paying for the name.

There are countless amps that output the same or more power for less //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/greedy.gif.5a53e6246569d7ab79867170f3b06629.gif

You're just a mindless marketing-driven drone without a lick of audio knowledge because you bought a Linear Power amp when you could have spent less money and achieved the same results.

Just seemed like a good time to use the anti-JL conjecture against another brand //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
lol

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.