Why pay more for a JL audio amp?

livinlegend
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Ok this is what I don't understand...

A kicker 1000.1 puts out over 1000W RMS of real watts, usually birthed at around 1050 or so. Price: $200-$280.

A JL 1000.1 may put out slightly more. People pay $450 for these USED.

Can someone please explain why anyone would pay more for the same real wattage, beside the fancy schmancy brand name? Is it just that people who buy JL products are dolts, or what?

What is the difference between 2 amps that put out the same real wattage, both considered quality brands? Why would anyone in their right mind pay more for the same thing with a different emblem slapped on it?

Still don't get it. Both amps can provide the same rated power. What is the benefit of paying $150+ more for the same thing? How can an amp providing the same power as the other provide more dBs?

You are paying for teh JL name.. also the 1000/1 does 1000 rms @ 1-4 ohms. The Kicker amp is only stable as low as 2 ohms.
the only reason i had my jl 1000/1 was because it was 1000w@3ohms (for my 12w7) and, for the price, it was pretty much on par with the other options out there.

its the whole quality over quantity thing. YOu can get a lanzar 1800d for less than that kicker amp and get more than 1000wrms, but it sounds "dirty" and may not be as reliable as the kicker amp. Same goes with the JL/kicker. the slash series has that consistent power across a range of impedence and people like that (especially those with w7's). The JL probably has a better sound to it as well. It sounds better because of the technology on the board and that technology has to be paid for. that is why it costs more.

its the whole quality over quantity thing. YOu can get a lanzar 1800d for less than that kicker amp and get more than 1000wrms, but it sounds "dirty" and may not be as reliable as the kicker amp. Same goes with the JL/kicker. the slash series has that consistent power across a range of impedence and people like that (especially those with w7's). The JL probably has a better sound to it as well. It sounds better because of the technology on the board and that technology has to be paid for. that is why it costs more.
Your going to get flammed for saying an amp sounds "dirty". A good amp should increase the volume without adding much of anything a great amp increase sound while adding nothing.

The arguement could be made that the JL adds less than the kicker. Now you will also have to look at build quality, components used, tolerances and things of that nature.

Iirc up to 10% thd is inaudible to the human ear. How's it sound now?
I have a hard time believing that. Not calling you a liar, but I can hear differences in amps using the same setup, just switching the amps out. Perhaps its not the distortion though, could be stage or color, etc.

the slash series Jl amps you can wire it to pretty much any reasonable impedance and it will do same rating
I just don't get how it's possible? //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

highly regulated power supply
word?

so if you did this to any other amplifier.. such as a Sundown 1500 (rated 1500 @ 1), it'd allow it to produce 1500 @ all ohm loads?

or is it more complicated than that.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.