Why invert the subs?

right...so um exactly what i said but with the paragraph of bs to confuse a noob...good job.
um, no.... the waqy you said it basically sounds like you are saying inverted=isobaric.....which is a big, fat NO

...was just trying not to make you look like mr woofer...

You can also gain a thermal advantage -- especially @ high power in a sealed box where there is no air exchange with the outside.
this is a good point, high powered sub coils probably get quite hot in sealed or enclosed spaces......

another + for a.ss out application

The main drawback to inverting subs is, motor noise is more likely to be audible. This is mostly a consideration in 'up-front-bass' setups where the sub(s) is mounted near the listeners, like right behind the seats or between them in a center console. And when you own a sub with considerable motor noise of course.

You can also gain a thermal advantage -- especially @ high power in a sealed box where there is no air exchange with the outside.
jacob , not sure if you have been living under a rock , but there is this dude Dr subwoofer that everybody on here has been seriously effing with. If you see a broken amp come back under warranty with his name on it (sultan malik) DO NOT FIX IT FOR FREE!!. Dude is running one of the sae-1200's with 8 gauge power cable and the gains SERIOUSLY cranked. Poor amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

jacob , not sure if you have been living under a rock , but there is this dude Dr subwoofer that everybody on here has been seriously effing with. If you see a broken amp come back under warranty with his name on it (sultan malik) DO NOT FIX IT FOR FREE!!. Dude is running one of the sae-1200's with 8 gauge power cable and the gains SERIOUSLY cranked. Poor amp //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif
Lol and he says that his amp doesnt need a cooling fan because his amp uses all the power and its not junk...:rofl:

I heard that if the driver is mounted vertically that it will also cause suspension to sag?
It can, yes. With speakers that have a loose suspension. But inverting does not affect this, because inverting means flipping the speaker 180 degrees, so no change in affecting suspension sag.

I have been pointed to the videos a few times but haven't seen them yet -- will keep my eye out !

um, no.... the waqy you said it basically sounds like you are saying inverted=isobaric.....which is a big, fat NO...was just trying not to make you look like mr woofer...
what you described is actually significantly less efficientthan what i suggested. the real world definition of isobaric is equal in pressure, density, etc. by doing it the way i suggested it causes the sound waves to propagate spherically, therefore symmetrically stopping cancellation but they must be wired to have opposite polarity. you have nesquick i have ovaltine, they both make chocolate milk. ovaltine just tastes better.

first of all it all depends on your enclosure and sub. in some cases changing it can help, inverting it will change the airspace in the box and ill raise the port tuning. also with the sub firing inward it gets less surface area blocked by the basket but this is all relative to your specifics. the best reason for inverting is when you have multiples, for example 2 subs will have a certain degree of noise cancellation. if one is inverted then this reduces cancellation. its called isobaric.
If this is a big problem with any speaker you have, you are buying from the wrong manufacturers. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

The benefits of inverting your subs are completely nullified if you box is designed with sub displacement already calculated, unless you just want to lower your tuning.

The term isobaric is getting thrown around a lot in this thread. In order for a setup to truly be isobaric, the speakers must be coupled together. This means they are not only mounted inverted from one another, but they are mounted inline, with a very small airspace between them. The idea is to create a situation in which the motion/force from each speaker aids the other in its cone motion. The minor benefit is slightly better cone control, the major benefit is halving enclosure size requirement (due to, in essence, creating a speaker with double the BL force). The detriment is twice the speakers, and twice the power, to get the same output levels as only one of the speakers.

Several years ago when amplifiers were small, and speaker enclosures were big (for efficiency), halving enclosure size requirements was sometimes worth the added cost of isobaric setups. In today's world of cheap chinese watts and massive low-efficiency subs designed to work in small enclosures, its almost never a good idea anymore.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.