How to Invert subs?

JuiceTin

CarAudio.com Recruit
Texas
I got 2 15s and I worried if I invert them the surround might hit the wood and rip. Is there anyway to make sure the surround is safe if I where to invert them?
Also if I flip them would I have to change the polarity, or keep it the same as before.

If your cutout is accurate, it should not hit anything.

You use the same cutout regardless. And yes, you reverse the polarity unless you have the option to do so on your amp or HU (180 degree out of phase).

keep in mind that you also gain around .25 to .35 cubic feet per sub in enclosure volume which will affect the overall tuning of the enclosure too. Unless you need the extra volume, no reason other than aesthetics to invert the drivers.

If your cutout is accurate, it should not hit anything.

You use the same cutout regardless. And yes, you reverse the polarity unless you have the option to do so on your amp or HU (180 degree out of phase).

keep in mind that you also gain around .25 to .35 cubic feet per sub in enclosure volume which will affect the overall tuning of the enclosure too. Unless you need the extra volume, no reason other than aesthetics to invert the drivers.
When reversing the polarity, I would just flip all the positives with the negatives right

Just wire normally to the subs VC's then reverse polarity for the connection to the amp. Reverse the leads on the amp and that will reverse the polarity of the setup. The KISS (keep it simple stupid) principle!

;)

Last edited:
Some subs' cutouts are smaller than the outside of the surround, so some can rub. Something like a big cheap measuring caliper might be the simplest thing to use. Definitely measure to make sure, because surround damage is sometimes really easy to do and minor damage can cause a big problem, so check that.

Everything looks and sounds good as of now, got to clean up the wiring

Attachments

• PXL_20240204_215946942.jpg
    PXL_20240204_215946942.jpg
    551.1 KB · Views: 15
Not too mention making it easier for people to see i.e marking it for those people who like to steal. Those sliding windows are easy to open and steal from. Trust me I lost a system from my one truck even with a lock on the sliding window. You aren't gaining anything with them like that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...