Why do you need the BIG 3 on stock electrical?

" Now as an example you are drawing 160A of current from your stock (90A) alt and battery."160 amps from alt AND BATTERY, not alt only.

Dude, accept you don't know as much as you think you do.

There's a saying in poker that if you don't know which person playing is the sucker, it's you.

Well, when there's an entire forum of experienced users all saying the same thing regarding a topic, and you're telling all of them they are incorrect,...
You can't make the assumption that if a lot of people say something, it must be true. If you believe that, why don't you go outside and check your blinker fluid?

" Now as an example you are drawing 160A of current from your stock (90A) alt and battery."160 amps from alt AND BATTERY, not alt only.

Dude, accept you don't know as much as you think you do.

There's a saying in poker that if you don't know which person playing is the sucker, it's you.

Well, when there's an entire forum of experienced users all saying the same thing regarding a topic, and you're telling all of them they are incorrect,...
You can't make the assumption that if a lot of people say something, it must be true. If you believe that, why don't you go outside and check your blinker fluid?

As Ahnold said, "You can't overkill anything!" forgot which movie.......

Manufacturers will use the lightest gauge power and ground wire they can get away with for every application, ask any Automotive EE. Or any motorcycle owner for that matter.......

Last edited by a moderator:
Because a lot of people aren't saying to check my blinker fluid, brainiac.

The stock wiring is able to carry the stock alternator amperage. Car manufacturers wouldn't put wires on there too small for the alternator. If they did, you would hear about a lot of car companies being sued, because of cars catching on fire. The reality is BIG 3 manufacturers want you to buy bigger wire so they get more $. It doesn't hurt anything to future proof if you plan on a high output alternator.
Those 8g wires cant support the draw from aftermarket stuff like a amplifier. Its that simple

A lot of guys on here have such extensive knowledge that you would do well to learn from them. I've learned a LOT and just when I think I know what I'm talking about I read something new. If you open your mind you can learn a lot. Just a friendly suggestion.

It makes sense but It doesn't make sense. If a wire can carry x amount of current, it can carry it period. Electricity moves fast, I don't see how a bigger wire can make current go faster. The only point I'm seeing so far is future proofing.
Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. A 4awg wire has less resistance than a 8awg wire.

Crutchfield and SonicEletronix both recommend the big 3. You think some of the leading car audio product websites in the world would recommend this if it wasnt true?

I'm sorry, are you an ASE certified mechanic with 40 years experience of working on cars, trucks, buses or a certified professional garage mechanic?
No.

I'm also not a doctor but i know when something isn't right.

I'm not a mechanic at all but i know how to do normal routine maintenance and rewire electrical, change entire suspension system, etc..

I didn't go to college to learn CAD design but i do CAD design for wall designs and vehicle modifications.

I am not an ASE mechanic and it seems that it's a good thing so i didn't waste 40years and not ACCEPT physics and thermodynamics as part of life.

If you think we are attacking you, it's only because you choose to believe what is not true.

This is not a scenario where we are all clueless and you know more.

You seem like someone who is getting their information from someone else and believing that source over us.

I'm telling you right now in this hobby, we as users and competitors know more about the science than a mechanic.

It's our JOB too. That's what wins competitions. That's what maintains installation integrity.

A stock lead acid car battery is what, like 500 cca? Therefore, a stock car's electrical is capable of handling about 450 amps after accounting for the fuel pump, headlights, etc. I mean, if the wiring couldn't handle 500 amps, the manufacturers wouldn't have put that sized battery in there in the first place.

None of you make any sense on this subject. You just assume if you don't have the BIG 3 you're not in the car audio "game". Somebody says something then a lot of more inexperience beginners come along and say something else. My advice is don't **** a mechanic off, they could remove one thing from your car and you wouldn't be able to start it.

Thank you I said this in post 2 and this idiot is still saying dumb sh1t. Aftermarket stuff is why we do the big 3

100% true.but its only good for stock....

if you have just stock then your good.

but you start adding amps, subs and you will need more power. and the stock wires are not going to handle it and you will have a fire in no time.

and stock wires are bad for resistance.. putting a system in you want/need wire that will carry the power and do it with the least resistance.

resistance = heat.

None of you make any sense on this subject. You just assume if you don't have the BIG 3 you're not in the car audio "game". Somebody says something then a lot of more inexperience beginners come along and say something else. My advice is don't **** a mechanic off, they could remove one thing from your car and you wouldn't be able to start it.
Its you sir who dont make any sense. Your talking in circles. I didnt do the big 3 on my Grand Prix when I was running 1500wrms, but I also didnt have electrical issues.

What does pissing a mechanic off have anything to do with the big 3 discussion? Fact is it does help and does make sense to do.

Lol.. then i guess they wouldn't be done fixing it yet then would they?

Ironically, most of us do not use mechanics believe it or not.

When you get really involved with car audio, you either know or source out others in this hobby who can weld, swap engines, etc..

We are just a large family in this hobby and that's basically how many hobbies work in the Auto field.

No.
I'm also not a doctor but i know when something isn't right.

I'm not a mechanic at all but i know how to do normal routine maintenance and rewire electrical, change entire suspension system, etc..

I didn't go to college to learn CAD design but i do CAD design for wall designs and vehicle modifications.

I am not an ASE mechanic and it seems that it's a good thing so i didn't waste 40years and not ACCEPT physics and thermodynamics as part of life.

If you think we are attacking you, it's only because you choose to believe what is not true.

This is not a scenario where we are all clueless and you know more.

You seem like someone who is getting their information from someone else and believing that source over us.

I'm telling you right now in this hobby, we as users and competitors know more about the science than a mechanic.

It's our JOB too. That's what wins competitions. That's what maintains installation integrity.
No you install the BIG 3 using way too big of wore you'll never take advantage of and basically get lucky. Nothing wrong with that, I'd do the same if I had that high of a power demand. I'm just trying to prove a point, a stock 99 Jeep cherokee with about a 117 amp alternator doesn't need 1/0 wire if 8 awg is more than enough and you will damage your alternator before the wire. Same applies everywhere else. I'm not attacking anybody either. It just seems ridiculous to have a tiny alternator and gigantic wire that's the basics. It seems there is a lot of brainwashing. The only difference is with 1/0 you won't ever have to redo it to bigger wire if you get a bigger alternator.

I'm sorry, are you an ASE certified mechanic with 40 years experience of working on cars, trucks, buses or a certified professional garage mechanic?

Any fukk tard can take the 9 month course and be ase certified... Most ase certified mechanics still don't know shiiiit along with your ase certified mechanic that is not an electrician... Spend the money do the tests and try to prove your right... Waste your money make our day with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.