Why did you get into car audio

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
Hi there! As some of you may already know me, and my little expensive civic, id like to get to know some of you. Why did you get into car audio? Whats your story? What drove youto be where your at today?

Me? Well passionate about music and as im sure we all know its way easier to get way better results with home audio. My first pair of good speakers was as a teenager when i got a pair of 60 watt cyber accustic 3 way speakers. 2 satalites and a sub. Love it! But as ive been inthe military awhile now, have my own house, married and divorced, and rent my extra rooms out i find it unfeasible to blare my music in my living quarter anymore. I used to love getting drunk, turning it up and having fun. But gotta respect the tenants, so it got me started on playing music in my car in my garage further away from them. I really just wanted my music in peace. So car audio for me is a safe haven away from all the stress of the world and nonsense. The 40 minutes of driving i do a day, is my only peace.

I never thought id like a ton of base. But with every system upgrade i get, i want more! Like 3 times more.

So lets hear your story

It lured me into a windowless van with promises of toys n treats..

Then it finger€d me, and has been taking my money ever since

Last edited by a moderator:
A pair of 12" MTX Terminators in a prefab hatchback box with tweeters that a buddy got when i was about 13 that made me physically feel the music in a way that i had never previously experienced. They werent anything special as far as subs go, but at that young age, it was groundbreaking. We would listen to Techmaster PEB and cruise around feeling like the shizz because we had a pair of 12"s bumpin our music in a time where gas was cheap and driving for hours was affordable for kids. Music has always been everything for me, but the combination of free will travel and blasting Eazy-E with some bass with the windows down defined the epitome of youth expression at that time. Not much has changed since then, except for the cost of petroleum and added responsibilities LoL

In the 80's my brother got me in to it as a wee lad. He had 6 redline (not DD, but the real OG Redline company) 10's in the roof of his 50 Ford pickup. I got hooked and haven't looked back.

In the 80's my brother got me in to it as a wee lad. He had 6 redline (not DD, but the real OG Redline company) 10's in the roof of his 50 Ford pickup. I got hooked and haven't looked back.
wait, 6 10"s in the roof of his pickup??? And oh yes, i remember the Redlines from back in the day. They were a sort of golden chalice at that time

wait, 6 10"s in the roof of his pickup??? And oh yes, i remember the Redlines from back in the day. They were a sort of golden chalice at that time
Yup, that domed roof could hold a good bit. He replaced those redlines with 2 Pyle Driver II 15's (they were also the **** back then, like Auto Tek.....Auto Tek 22 > Punch 45). Car audio seemed so simple back then compared to today's standards. 100 watts could do wonders then.

Yup, that domed roof could hold a good bit. He replaced those redlines with 2 Pyle Driver II 15's (they were also the **** back then, like Auto Tek.....Auto Tek 22 > Punch 45). Car audio seemed so simple back then compared to today's standards. 100 watts could do wonders then.
Tell me about it, I had a PQ20.2 driving two HE2 12"s that seemed like it was more than adequate back in the day. Today, I run a SQ2200.1 on 2 Rockford P3's and want to get more than the high 130s maybe low 140s i get from them

Tell me about it, I had a PQ20.2 driving two HE2 12"s that seemed like it was more than adequate back in the day. Today, I run a SQ2200.1 on 2 Rockford P3's and want to get more than the high 130s maybe low 140s i get from them
I know, right? I have 2k on 2 15's......2k back in the day would have run a wall (or 5 walls) of top shelf subs back then, now it runs 2 medium-ish end subs.......efficiency is nowhere to be found.

I know, right? I have 2k on 2 15's......2k back in the day would have run a wall (or 5 walls) of top shelf subs back then, now it runs 2 medium-ish end subs.......efficiency is nowhere to be found.
absolutely. btw, youve misspelled pioneer in your sig on your headunit. you have "pionner" instead of "pioneer"

I had one G&S Redline 10 in a bandpass that took up my whole trunk of my 86 GrandAm ran off a pioneer pull out tape deck and a Percision Power 2075M bridged. It may have been like 150 watts lol

Efficiency was better but nothing else was. We can use smaller boxes and get much lower much louder now.

We can do 10x more today in terms of output and sound quality.

My dad was part of team fosgate in the early-mid 90s when they still cared. He held the Alabama state title for a few seasons.

When I had my last car that was right at 150db I let him mess with it. His own words which mattered more then mine because he knew his build better then I knew it.. "this is ridicules compared to mine". He had 8 15s in a clam shell of a Astro van.

Mine was only a pair of 12s.

I bought a 67 mercury comet, had jenson 7 way 6x9s with 75 ounce magnets each, with a sparkomatic cassette player, I was 19, 33 years ago. Then I had an 81 corrolla, started with a pair of Pioneer rack system speakers/subs on a majestic 100x2, coustic 2 way 4.5s in the kick, graduated to a pair of pyle dryver 12s. Have had at least 40 different changes since. Now just trying to save some coins to have what's in my sig installed in the caddy. Oh yeah, the reason I started this addiction, I mean hobby, always loved music, heard a decent system, and promised myself that I would always have a decent set up in whatever ride that I have. So far I have kept that promise to myself. Stereo Integrity is the best sub that I have ever used, and the IA 20.1 is the best amp by far that I have ever used.

My dad started installing things in his old s10 pickups and blazers back when I was about 8 years old and I just got hooked from there. I remember always trying to turn the bass boost up on my dads amps because I didn't think it was loud enough lol.

I tried starting my son out really early to get him into it a bit, but he wants nothing to do with it yet.

I had a friend in high school who was two years older than me. When I was 14 and he was 16, he used to drive me to school. He bought a Mazda MX6 and put a small system in it. It was two 10" Alpine type E's in a sealed prefab box powered by a Sony Xplod amp. I thought it was the greatest thing ever, lol. Before i could drive, I bought a car and put a bigger system in it.

Now, I do it more for other people than myself. I like low bass and like loud music, but there's nothing better than doing hairtricks and turning heads. What I love most about car audio is giving demo's. I know 153.9 isn't loud to some of you guys, but for the average person, they get in my truck and go "Wow, that's crazy! How do you listen to it that loud??"

I love showing off how extreme my build is to people. Opening up the back doors to solid wood always gets a good reaction, haha. Same for when I would open the tailgate to 28 batteries. Whenever I was talking to car guys who aren't necessarily into audio, I'd tell them that I have four alternators on my truck. I'd always get the same reaction. "No way... I've got to see that!"

Back in high school it helped me get chicks, but the same cannot be said for college. Now, I ride my motorcycle whenever I can to save on gas. I don't have as much money to spend as I did in high school. I pay for insurance, gas, groceries, ect. Soon, I'll have real bills to pay like electricity, water, gas, property tax, ect. I always feel the need to go bigger, and that's what kinda sucks

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.