why are 18"s louder that 15"s and those louder than 12"s. New Subs - rate?

zair
10+ year member

say, for example that each sub was the same exact design brand, rms, ect ect. how come the larger would be louder than the smaller? is it because there is more surface area and such? or what?

also ive got 2 Orion Hcca 15s, whamming fairly hard, are these subs any good?

subwoofer education is not apart of OUR (saying our cause im 30min away from VA beach in Newport News Douche) educational curriculum SIR, also im a female using my BFs account to gain information about these things, so id like an answer rather than a cocky remark by a potential troll

Oh, ok. Well then think of it as 2 d1cks that are doing the exact same thing and performing the same moves. Say d1ck number 1 is 5 inches and the second is 8 inches. The 8 inch one will do more unless it is thin like a pencil(low RMS wattage, poor enclosure design analogy) and the 5 inch one is thick like a pancake(high RMS wattage, excellent enclosure design analogy). Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am trying to put it in laymans terms for you.

If I wave a 4 foot wide fan at ya, you are going to get more air than a 1 inch wide fan right? Same concept......you are moving air.....at varying frequencies.

Oh, ok. Well then think of it as 2 d1cks that are doing the exact same thing and performing the same moves. Say d1ck number 1 is 5 inches and the second is 8 inches. The 8 inch one will do more unless it is thin like a pencil(low RMS wattage, poor enclosure design analogy) and the 5 inch one is thick like a pancake(high RMS wattage, excellent enclosure design analogy). Sorry if this doesn't make sense, I am trying to put it in laymans terms for you.
you must be a professional with receiving d1ck performance!

68999.jpg

More cone area means more bass... Most of the time!! Thats why in a daily set up i prefer to use multiple subs as aposed to one badasss sub....

Hahahaha this guy lol I needed that laugh

It isn't cone area, it's displacement. Which sub displaces more air. When everything else is counted equal, more often than not a larger surface area (the bigger cone) will displace more air. When you take cheap 18s and put them against excellent 12s that have high excursion and great power handling thanks to powerful motors, a 12 could easily get louder than an 18.

Think of it in car engines. People often think a V8 will handedly beat a V6 because of more displacement. If the V8 is fairly weak, that doesn't always prove to be. Case in point, the Nissan Skyline GT-R is a V6 and the only thing off the showroom faster is a Bugatti Veyron V16. Oh btw, the Skyline costs $60,000, the Bugatti 1.2M.

It isn't cone area, it's displacement. Which sub displaces more air. When everything else is counted equal, more often than not a larger surface area (the bigger cone) will displace more air. When you take cheap 18s and put them against excellent 12s that have high excursion and great power handling thanks to powerful motors, a 12 could easily get louder than an 18.
Think of it in car engines. People often think a V8 will handedly beat a V6 because of more displacement. If the V8 is fairly weak, that doesn't always prove to be. Case in point, the Nissan Skyline GT-R is a V6 and the only thing off the showroom faster is a Bugatti Veyron V16. Oh btw, the Skyline costs $60,000, the Bugatti 1.2M.
true true true.

theres alot of factors,

motor size,

usuable throw (xmax)

size of woofer, cone structure, some have more volume than others,

how much power it can take, and how it uses it.

For example, an RE xxx is rated for 1600rms, but has 64 mm of excursion, where as a Vibe blackdeath has 2500rms, and 21mm of excursion, just because a sub can take more power does not mean it can move more air.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.