Whole System Cuts Out, When Volume Cranked

Participant count
  • Participant list

Ferrariowner123

So i just bought a new deck, amp and sub for my boat, also has 4 standard 6"s and a set of rear 6X9's powered by an amp (dont know the ratings on the rear amp, 6X9"s, or any of the 4 6"s but i can find out if it helps) And the whole thing is powered by two, standard 12V batteries.

So we had a guy on craigslist install it all for us, he did a good job, and has lots of experience, but the problem im having is when the music is cranked the whole stereo system cuts out, at least the deck does.

Now my dad, who bought the amp, sub and box as a package, didn't know much about amps, so he bought a 200W RMS sub, and a 200W RMS amp, big mistake i know.

So after a couple of times on the boat and having this problem, we call our audio guy, and he says we dont have a powerful enough amp, and i dont think i could have heard anything dumber than what he said, because, keep in mind, the only part that im certain of, that cuts out is the deck, i dont know if any of the other speakers cut out, so how he got that conclusion, just blows me away.

Now what i think is the deck isn't getting enough power to power everything, when the volume is cranked, and i think a capacitor would solve the problem, but after reading a little bit of the stickies, could it be a bad ground, or a ground that doesn't allow enough volts to travel through? but if it had a bad ground, would that prevent the entire system from even turning on?

So please point me in the right direction so we can get this figured out.

Thanks

-Kyle

Bad ground might do it as would insufficient power wire possibly. Odds are your voltage is dropping to a point where it won't power on the HU. Perhaps a bigger battery would help?

If you have a voltmeter, put it on the power terminals and I bet the voltage is down under 11 when you pump on it and it cuts out/powers off.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.