Who all has ran power wire under the car?

I did it once on my 1981 chevy malibu that I had throughout high school and college in the late 80s early 90s. I ran the wire in a flex steel conduit and used some heavy duty zip ties to channel it in the frame of the car. You just want to make sure there is no way the wire can get pinched by anything or come loose because I wouldn't want to see the aftermath of it snagging on something while I am driving on the interstate....

I have always been weary of doing this. Where have you guys found a place to pull it back in the cab in the rear? Do you drill a hole and put a grommet?

I never thought about using flex, I guess that would be pretty safe way of doing it.

I guess it's dependent on the car, and how you use it.

If you have a low car and it scrapes on occasion then it would be bad, or if you did a lot of off roading...

I've got 0 guage run under my car, been good for 4 years that way. It's ziptied to various holes/ brackets on the frame, and comes up through a stock grommet in the back. Works great for me

your cars comes stock with wiring ran underneath the car so why wouldnt it be ok to run a power cable under the car? id make sure it was at least covered in wire loom

your cars comes stock with wiring ran underneath the car so why wouldnt it be ok to run a power cable under the car? id make sure it was at least covered in wire loom
agreed.

its all about making sure its secured good, its not like its the only wiring under your car..

don't understand what would be soo bad about this, as long as you do it right. What is gonna happen? IF its done right then I think you got bigger things to worry about such as your brake lines, fuel lines, and other electrical from the factory that is all run down there.

Mine may be a bit different than a car but I have 2 runs of 1/0 run along the from from the engine bay to the back of my cab. Both are wrapped in split loom from up in the cab and the split loom 100% covered in 3m Super 33+ electrical tape (an entire roll per 18' run.) These runs are zip tied up to the frame over crossmembers and basically run with brake and fuel lines. If you tuck the wires up properly to the frame there will be no issues and honestly I would rather have big wire there than run under carpet or door sills where they might get chaffed from people getting in and out or dragging their feet along the floor.

This is before I ran the 1/0 ground and re-wrapped the power wire to seal it better. But it has been on the truck like this for well over a year now and about to head into its second new england road salt winter.

DSC01109.jpg

This is 1/0 kicker wire and took about 15' of 1" split loom and wrapped in 3m Super 33+ electrical tape. Its certainly not the best but it works good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.