Which enclosure and which location in quadcab PU

Flex68
10+ year member

dilligaf
Info/background: I am planning an SQ system for my ’08 Ram quadcab, and am looking at using a single sub. Right now I am debating between the 10” and 12” JL Audio W3v3, and best placement for either. Budget for everything (HU, front speakers, sub+enclosure, multi-channel amp, wiring, etc) is to be between $1500-2000.

How do you guys feel about going with a prefab composite or thermoform enclosure (like FoxBox) versus a ¾” MDF custom box when placement is beneath the passenger rear seat?

I read a thread elsewhere that was “downing” the wood boxes in comparison, due to the shallow mount situation beneath the Ram’s rear seat (and it is a small area!), but I worry about the rigidity of the composites…. Any thoughts? Pros/cons of each?

Also have thought about an enclosure that replaces the center, front console.

One of the large audio sales sites has a custom-fit fiberglass enclosure with 13.5" JL Audio W3v3 for $900, but I don’t need that large a sub, nor do I wish to invest that much $$.

I might consider a 12” version downfiring in this placement, though, so as to skip the headaches of the shallowness of the passenger rear seat position, but am unsure how favorably this placement would compare to that of a sub in the rear of the cab...?

All assistance and suggestions appreciated, and thanks in advance!

It sux being a noob

I just got a Image Dynamics IDQ10v3 and it sounds great, its a great sub for sq and still gets pretty loud. Doesn't require much space and you can get them new for around $200, just a little more than the W3, but worth it. Not sure for the price on a 12", but the 10 would still give plenty of bass inside the cab:D

Thanks for the responses.

I am just in the planning stages, at this point, and can def change my thought on going with a specific sub.

Looked at several brands that were reputed to be quality SQ subs. Can't afford Adire, Morel, Hertz, etc on my budget, so I looked at IDQ, RE, Alpine Type-R, and JL Audio. The Alpines had a number of 'less than stellar' reviews, so I discounted them. I decided on the JL's because of how the specs compared to the others, and that it has a SVC... plus I have always been impressed with the company and their products.

I think any of the above subs would work well in my planned system. (So far I have an Eclipse CD7200 MkII head unit, and CDT CL 62 PRO front speakers ready to install when I get the amp(s), sub, and enclosure)

Really more interested, right now, in trying to determine whether it would be "best" to go with composite vs/ MDF for the enclosure, and placement under rear seat vs/ center console...

'Course, I am a goob/noob, so I may be going at the whole things bassackwards!

The Type-R subs are just fine. I also like JL audio - yes you pay a bit more, but they are a great company with very good products.

The issue with a truck is you have a small room - so room acoustics come into play. this means where you place the sub determines what room modes you excite and where you sit determines what room modes you hear. you also get cancellation in the form of phase interference from reflections - this happens in the audible bass response. corner loaded is usually fool proof since you gain 9dB from coherent reflections and you excite all room modes.

if SQ is your goal, then sacrifice is required. the rear passenger corner of the cabin is a great place - but losing one seat is a down-side that may or may not be an issue for you.

i recently had success with a center console sub - down firing. the Ultra LV10 sounds amazing in a sealed enclosure.

under-seat enclosures can work well, but buying a full engineered solution (JL Stealth box) is your best bet. You pay a lot more but you get something guaranteed to work. mix and match enclosure/sub combos that are not specifically engineered solutions are going to be hit and miss with success. you can save money, but at the sacrifice of SQ.

we all have different expectations, and the biggest trick is determining what the solution should be for YOUR vehicle. what works for one person/vehicle may not be liked by someone else's specific set of circumstances.

as far as enclosure materials, fiberglass solutions can be just fine - if they are properly implemented. MDF is easier and more reliable, but the wood thickness eats up space.

your first step should be to determine what airspace you can get in an under seat enclosure. then compare that with the recommended airspace to achieve a Q of 0.707 with your sub selection (considered optimal for SQ)

I purchased a foxbox for my 2009 chevy crew cab it fits under the rear seat is ported and sounds great.I cant recall but im pretty sure they make one that holds 2 10's for the dodge that gets good reviews on all the dodge forums. The only down side to ordering a foxbox and i have seen this alot as well as experienced it is he is very busy and it took about a month and a half to get my box. The box sounds and looks great but it was a very frustrating experience. I had a prefab wood box before this and i was very dissappointed.The stealthboxes sound great and are well built but they can get pretty expensive. I have 2 fi ssd's in my box and in my opinion it sounds as good or better then a stealth box and i spent just under 700 on the subs and box

I purchased a foxbox for my 2009 chevy crew cab it fits under the rear seat is ported and sounds great.I cant recall but im pretty sure they make one that holds 2 10's for the dodge that gets good reviews on all the dodge forums. The only down side to ordering a foxbox and i have seen this alot as well as experienced it is he is very busy and it took about a month and a half to get my box. The box sounds and looks great but it was a very frustrating experience. I had a prefab wood box before this and i was very dissappointed.The stealthboxes sound great and are well built but they can get pretty expensive. I have 2 fi ssd's in my box and in my opinion it sounds as good or better then a stealth box and i spent just under 700 on the subs and box
Thanks for the info, and letting me know what your experiences were. Much appreciated!

The Type-R subs are just fine. I also like JL audio - yes you pay a bit more, but they are a great company with very good products.
The issue with a truck is you have a small room - so room acoustics come into play. this means where you place the sub determines what room modes you excite and where you sit determines what room modes you hear. you also get cancellation in the form of phase interference from reflections - this happens in the audible bass response. corner loaded is usually fool proof since you gain 9dB from coherent reflections and you excite all room modes.

if SQ is your goal, then sacrifice is required. the rear passenger corner of the cabin is a great place - but losing one seat is a down-side that may or may not be an issue for you.

i recently had success with a center console sub - down firing. the Ultra LV10 sounds amazing in a sealed enclosure.

under-seat enclosures can work well, but buying a full engineered solution (JL Stealth box) is your best bet. You pay a lot more but you get something guaranteed to work. mix and match enclosure/sub combos that are not specifically engineered solutions are going to be hit and miss with success. you can save money, but at the sacrifice of SQ.

we all have different expectations, and the biggest trick is determining what the solution should be for YOUR vehicle. what works for one person/vehicle may not be liked by someone else's specific set of circumstances.

as far as enclosure materials, fiberglass solutions can be just fine - if they are properly implemented. MDF is easier and more reliable, but the wood thickness eats up space.

your first step should be to determine what airspace you can get in an under seat enclosure. then compare that with the recommended airspace to achieve a Q of 0.707 with your sub selection (considered optimal for SQ)

Corner-loading via placement under the rear seat sounds like a better way to go, then...plus I don't mind "losing" the miniature storage area.

The unfortunate thing is that it is just that: miniature! Total available depth with the "fold-flat" junk taken out is about 9.25" , which is not so bad. The bottom-most part of the storage area, though, is what is of concern due to it's small size of 10"L x 6"W.

If I looked at using a box made from .75" MDF, I would be dealing with interior box measurements of only about 7.75"D x 8.5"L x 4.5"W !

Now, granted, this storage area does "flare" outward so that the upper portion of any enclosure would be able to be built larger than the above measurements, but I have a hard time picturing any 12" sub working well, or having longevity, in such a small MDF enclosure...thus the hope that a thermoformed/composite enclosure of high quality would offer a better option (?)

Wish I could look at the pre-engineered Stealth Boxes or a good custom Fiberglass box, but I just can't allocate that much $$ to them.

The .707 "Q" you mention: I am unsure what you are referring to, here. (Bandwidth control for the lows, controlled via the HU?) .707 * a certain crossover number?

Sorry, but that is prolly waaaay over my head, lol. Hope to learn, tho!!

Thanks a bunch for the response and info; much appreciated!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.