Where does the chassis ground go?

Participant count
  • Participants list

blownspeaker

CarAudio.com Newbie
USA
I recently purchased this car and the radio wasn't working. Radio turned on but didn't play music or recognize phone through USB. Removed radio and noticed that antenna orange connection wasn't connect and the harness had loose connections. I found this black wire "chassis ground" and this random blue wire that has no writing on it not connected to anything. Do I put a ring terminal on the black wire and put that somewhere under the dash or does it crimp to the other black wires in the harness?

I am pretty new to this so I am hoping I can get some guidance. This isn't my wiring. I am just trying to make it work. Thanks you for reading.

edit: also found a missing fuse for "audio" on the car too. Might have went bad previously.. car is a 2003 ford mustang gt w/mach audio I believe.

Attachments

• radio wiring harness.jpg
    radio wiring harness.jpg
    630.3 KB · Views: 816
The black wire in the harness should be the ground, connect it. The blue wire is the remote wire, if you have no amp, it serves no purpose.
Replace the fuse, and see where you are.

The black wire in the harness should be the ground, connect it. The blue wire is the remote wire, if you have no amp, it serves no purpose.
Replace the fuse, and see where you are.

Thank you for the reply, I'm sorry I didn't understand you; you mean connect it to a terminal or crimp it to the rest of the black wires?

Im thinking the ground was in the one wire crimp, with the other black wires, and it wasn’t sufficiently crimped, or was pulled out....yes connect it to the other black wires. This is why I use solder, and heat shrink tubes....crimps fail...solder doesn’t...if done right.

Thanks, a few of the cables were loose, I did have to remove the crimps and redo a couple to make sure they were tight. This black wire though was all alone so I wasn't sure. Thank you Timbo, that makes sense. I will test this out Monday and report back.

UPDATE:
Radio works now, plays music through FM. USB doesn't recognize my phone - maybe my phone is too new?
2 speakers do not work, and 2 amps "do not work" because if I unplug the amps they do nothing to the sound, nor swapping them does it change anything either.

The fuses I ordered do not fit tightly in my car fuse box. Either way the radio still worked because I am assuming that the fuse on the radio is kind of like a bypass.

I am trying to figure out how to get the 2 extra door speakers to work along side the 2 amps in the back which I guess will give it a little kick in bass? Anyways I guess this is the end for this post.

I can only assume either the
1.radio harness isn't right
2. speakers don't work
3.amps don't work

Soooooo you have a 100% stock setup other than the headunit and you are trying to get the stock amps to work with the new aftermarket headunit? Confused on what all you have going on.

Soooooo you have a 100% stock setup other than the headunit and you are trying to get the stock amps to work with the new aftermarket headunit? Confused on what all you have going on.
Yes, its all stock except for the head unit that was installed previously but wasn't working right. Which we found out it was because of loose connections. So for the speakers there are 4 speakers in the front - 2 on each door, one up top and one down below on the car door then there are 2 in the back by the rear windows. 2 amps in the trunk, These 2 amps have 2 connections and only 1 on both amps were connected. So I did connect both connections on the 2 amps and it didn't change anything. I also tried to swap them to see if one works and one doesn't - also I did remove both and it did nothing to the sound. I checked the amp ground and re connected it and that too did nothing to turn them on.

SO as of now, there are 2 speakers not on - the 2 bottom ones on the door - which either is because a amp isn't powering them? or the harness connection isn't correctly wired to make them turn on with the amps is my guess. I am now trying to figure out what color is the amp.

I found this info online which may help fix this -
"- Combine all grounds from the Metra harnesses to the ground on your radio’s wiring harness. -edit: which we did
- Combine the amp turn-on with the ignition-on power on your radio’s wiring harness. "

I think this is what I need to check is done on the harness and also try it out and see if it works. I am now trying to just find out what colors are what. The writing on the wires are gone.

apparently the top speaker is a tweeter and the bottom is treated as a "sub woofer" however I don't hear any sound coming from them at all and pretty much all sound is coming from the tweeter. Also the back speakers have 2 sub woofers next to those as well. I didn't notice them either. I am going to test the door speakers and make sure they work.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.