Where do you meter

My63bug

Senior VIP Member
So I know a lot of guys have their highest number on the meter.. and when they're talking car audio they say I'm doing "148"( for instance).. where should the meter placement be at if you're trying to give people your honest number. The car sealed unsealed?

I've only been to one comp. just to get a meter number. They put the meter on windshield with the car sealed. I did 134 lol ( clamp 400w)..

Since then I I've upgraded everything and now I have my own meter. I get 144.7 sealed n the same spot on the windshield. I roll the driver side window down my number goes to 145.9. In the kick window up 146.8. Window down in the kick 147.9.. all clamped at about 800watts.but voltage dropping to 11.5. 1ohm... I'm hoping I'm going to get more power from this 2200w amp when i add the 2nd alt and a 25ah limitless lithium boosting and stabilizing my voltage.

So my question is what would you call my meter number. Iv been saying 144.7. Should I be metering at the headrest?

Legal, sealed on the dash is what people will think you are referring to.

If you meter somewhere else you should tell them because they will think you're talking about it being sealed on the dash.

Good scores btw. On that voltage, I think those are good numbers.

Sealed on dash is the standard.

Idc where anyone meters, as long as they denote method and dont compare scores across methods

I compete Dbdrag so always sealed on the dash....fudged numbers happens a lot...people telling you they meter this number then you get a demo and are like thought you metered a 150+ and come to find out it was in the kick door open

So I know a lot of guys have their highest number on the meter.. and when they're talking car audio they say I'm doing "148"( for instance).. where should the meter placement be at if you're trying to give people your honest number. The car sealed unsealed?I've only been to one comp. just to get a meter number. They put the meter on windshield with the car sealed. I did 134 lol ( clamp 400w)..

Since then I I've upgraded everything and now I have my own meter. I get 144.7 sealed n the same spot on the windshield. I roll the driver side window down my number goes to 145.9. In the kick window up 146.8. Window down in the kick 147.9.. all clamped at about 800watts.but voltage dropping to 11.5. 1ohm... I'm hoping I'm going to get more power from this 2200w amp when i add the 2nd alt and a 25ah limitless lithium boosting and stabilizing my voltage.

So my question is what would you call my meter number. Iv been saying 144.7. Should I be metering at the headrest?
ive seen setups louder sealed up on the dash than doors open and windows down. its phasing transfer function and resonance.

im old school i like the head rest windows down. that's how i design and listen to my system.. i managed a 143 on music..

Sealed at the dash is most commonly used and what people expect you mean. If you meter some other way you should say so.

That said if you know you gain 2-3dB with a door open or at the kick and use that number instead of your sealed/dash number for bragging rights you're being dishonest IMO.

Other methods would be valid if they were used more, but since virtually nobody uses them they're not helpful for a point of reference.

I compete in MECA MOD4, so I always meter at the headrest. And that is typically how I test also. That is the number I give when ask for a spl score. I meter about a 155 for my class. But demo at around a 157, reading taken at the headrest, to the track "Bass Mechanic", by Bass Mekanik.

I like sealed on the dash because it's sort of standardized and I also like the headrest because it's usually harder to get a higher number there. It's important to specify what location is used.

IMO kick panel readings are as relevant as "peak power" ratings. Feet don't have ears.

IMO kick panel readings are as relevant as "peak power" ratings.
It's not like anybody crams their head up into the dash either. The whole point isn't so much what the number says, but just having standards so we can compare apples to apples. Another good case for the dash location is that all spectators and judges can see the sensor during the run to make sure there's nothing fishy going on.

I'd say the most honest way to do it would be to meter at the driver's listening position, passenger's listening position and perhaps a couple other spots and take an average, but it becomes overly complex and time consuming so we compromise.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.