When do u go from 4 gauge to 2 gauge?

Bhhong
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Just wondering because I am about to run wires for a system. But incase later i wish to upgrade im wondering what type of ampage or power is the limit or efficient for a 4 gauge wire to a 2 gauge.....?

And I understand u should just run 2 gauge just incase to be safe but I am never really going to be pushing more than 800 watts total.....

4awg is plenty if you're never breaking the 800w barrier. If you're thinking one day down the line you might want to through another thousand watts at it, ou might consider running the larger wire now. My thought process would be: Should that day come, we'll worry about it then.

use ohms law to figure you current draw and reference the awg chart for total lenght of run and you will get your answer. or the bigger the better get 0/1 now and call ita day like the other guy said. 800w/14.4= 55ampers...4 will do forever. power/voltage=current(dymnamic).

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.