When choosing amps....?

fdparis25
10+ year member

What is most of yours preferred method-having the same Branded amp for both components and the subwoofer in your install when using more then one amp, or to use different branded amps for your components and subwoofers? Is the sound difference even noticeable when using dif branded amps, do to the dif frequencies going to the components and then subwoofers? Is using the same branded amp more for cosmetics rather then sound? Interested in hearing your opinions. Ive asked local installers in my area and have received dif. opinions.

What is most of yours preferred method-having the same Branded amp for both components and the subwoofer in your install when using more then one amp, or to use different branded amps for your components and subwoofers? Is the sound difference even noticeable when using dif branded amps, do to the dif frequencies going to the components and then subwoofers? Is using the same branded amp more for cosmetics rather then sound? Interested in hearing your opinions. Ive asked local installers in my area and have received dif. opinions.
most like them to match, why? beats the hell out of me lol I would guess for cosmetic purposes mainly. Audible differences in amps is a highly contested debate. There are some different brands that I can hear differences between others. Audio equipment is much like cars when it comes to loyalty. People just have their favorite brands and tend to stick with them //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It all depends on alot of things. I like my amps to match. They don't have to match with my speakers and subs though. My sub amp would be the important one. It has to do rated, over, or VERY close, typically on 13.8 volts or so. My mids/highs amp is secondary since I'm not big into SQ but would like my speakers be able to keep up with the bass. I also like to get the most power I can and that means if a 4 channel is offered in 50x4, 75x4, and 100x4, I'd go with the 100x4. Head room is good, at least for me. I can always turn the gains down. As far as brands go, I do my research if I see something that catches my eye. Another way I choose the brand is from past experience. I've had time to play with alot of different stuff so I buy according to that. Old school PPI and Orion, Autotek MM, Incriminator, TREO, just to name a few.

I let my ears do the choosing. Specs are great on paper, but what it really comes down to is how it sounds once installed. That's the good thing about going to a local stereo shop. If they have several different amps you can A - B on a single sub, it makes it easier to tell what each one sounds like (after tweaking). Of course its going to sound different depending on your equipment and install, but its usually pretty close.

I like to listen to stuff before I buy it as well. I never use a sub for the test driver though. Maybe if it was a class d sub amplifier, but nothing else. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

I dont really care if anything matches, even though I have done builds with the majority of equipment from the same company (ie sundown). Its mainly just for appearance.

Go catch Ramos, I should have said "speaker or sub"... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif One good thing about sticking with all one brand and model is the manufacture usually designs the amps to compliment the speaker model line you are running. If a speaker has a flat response, any flat sounding amp will work well. For example, If the speaker is boomy and has a lot of low end, then you would want to tune out the low end or buy an amp that doesn't have a strong low end. That way you get back a more flat response with less muddy sound in that case. To put it in plain English...

In theory a power amp shouldn't color sound at all. In practice, unfortunately, some do. The only amp coloration I like is a good tube amp.

Talking audio amps here, not instrument amps. Instrument amp "post" gain from tubes, i.e. distortion, is a gift from the gods. Solid state distortion is just some nasty clipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

In theory a power amp shouldn't color sound at all. In practice, unfortunately, some do. The only amp coloration I like is a good tube amp.
Talking audio amps here, not instrument amps. Instrument amp "post" gain from tubes, i.e. distortion, is a gift from the gods. Solid state distortion is just some nasty clipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
But the warmth you hear in the tube amps is distortion. I have been slowly learning to play the guitar, and love my fender twin. tubes are the way to go in a guitar amp. I'm not so fond of them anywhere else //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

But the warmth you hear in the tube amps is distortion. I have been slowly learning to play the guitar, and love my fender twin. tubes are the way to go in a guitar amp. I'm not so fond of them anywhere else //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yes the warmth you hear in a tube amp IS distortion, but it's pleasant compression, not out of control clipping. Tube amps are really nice in 2 channel home stereo setups with super effecient speakers, but they are high dollar as well.

Man if you can make that Fender Twin distort you are a better man than I am. Those things will go LOUD and stay CLEAN as hell! I played a Mesa-Boogie .50 Cal+ into a 4x12 and my singer played a Twin, and he could bury me at will and take out about the first 3 rows and piss the sound man off at the same time. That **** thing would just go loud and clean. Great country amp, and a nice blues and rock amp if you push it with something ahead of it. Super amp though, don't ever get rid of it. I miss way too much of the gear I've sold.

If you can get your hands on a Robert Keeley modded TS808 to run in front of that Twin, welcome to Hendrix/Stevie Ray Vaughn heaven. I ran a Maxon OD-808, but always wanted a Keeley. I'm mainly a bass player now though, my guitar pedal board is a LOT smaller than it used to be.

wow.. if you perfer to get a higend amp for your woofers and you 80 to 20000hz up is a secondary amp you really are clueless..

most brands that are high quality have good full range and woofer amps..

mmats

arc

zapco

tru

lunar

helix

J/L

to name a few

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.