What's wrong with this amp? PICS inside

it's a 1 ohm stable amp, i am giving you guys the DCR value, not the nominal value.

There is 2 dual 1 subs independently wired in series then both parallel at the amp.

Hence, resistance = 0.6DCR

I had the thought already if rise at the note being played was so low that it dropped below 1 ohm but i already tested that theory.

I got another amp and hooked it up to the subs and rise on that note is over 4.5 ohms so it wasn't that either.

Being that he says amp is irrelevent possibly means something cheap or unpopular
Nope, that means that i do not want a negative image on the company.

It's better to respect a company's reputation than to post ***** about a single problem compared to the 1000s that are fine.

Nope, that means that i do not want a negative image on the company.
It's better to respect a company's reputation than to post ***** about a single problem compared to the 1000s that are fine.
Fair enough, but from what I have seen in the past, blowing a rail like that is caused by impedance problems/ shorts.

How about tell me via PM the name of the amp so I have an idea of what I'm trying to diagnose...?

Edit: I've seen many rail problems like that from strapped amps as well.

Fair enough, but from what I have seen in the past, blowing a rail like that is caused by impedance problems/ shorts.
You are right! that's why i'm confused...

It doesnt make sense. It has to be something internal and not user error since i was testing it the whole time.

We had great voltage input, yet we couldnt even make it to a clipped wave before it gave out...

Impedance rise was well over 4x rise resulting in a minimum of 2.4ohms seen by the amp which is 1ohm stable.

You are right! that's why i'm confused...
It doesnt make sense. It has to be something internal and not user error since i was testing it the whole time.

We had great voltage input, yet we couldnt even make it to a clipped wave before it gave out...

Impedance rise was well over 4x rise resulting in a minimum of 2.4ohms seen by the amp which is 1ohm stable.
Are you absolutely positive that your wiring was good, and not shorting to anything? I know when I am testing, usually my wiring is not set up to be anywhere near show worthy.

i checked everything that the user had wired before and after it smoked.

Nothing was shorting anywhere outside the amp.

The amp was already installed in the vehicle and had been used once already but for a very brief period at low volume to ensure it worked. this was a week ago.

It was then permanently installed in the vehicle either yesterday or today and has been running at low volume levels until this afternoon when it went...

With my amazing p.i. skills I have deduced what amp you have there. I would still talk to the person, I understand they have very good customer sevice.

Someone else just did some lookin and they believe that the pin that got destroyed on that chip, Pin #7 is definitely ground and that would normally be caused via a short in the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.