Whats the problem

Mercureie
10+ year member

Stay in S-C-H-O-O-L
jus gettin started learnin bout car audio so bear with me. right now ive got 2 10", nothin impressive, hooked into a 600 watt amp, again nothin burly, but only one of the subs is hittin. i know its prolly got an obvious answer, but i was jus wonderin if neone could shed some light on my problem for me.

Originally posted by Mercureie jus gettin started learnin bout car audio so bear with me. right now ive got 2 10", nothin impressive, hooked into a 600 watt amp, again nothin burly, but only one of the subs is hittin. i know its prolly got an obvious answer, but i was jus wonderin if neone could shed some light on my problem for me.
I am assuming you are running the amp in stereo mode and not bridged? Try to bridge the amp to the two subs and see if they both hit then. It will also increase the power to the subs slightly and make for a cleaner sub-bass if they both work.

Originally posted by SAVAGE SOUND are they thumping the same direction? take a look and make sure you have it wired correctly. + to+ - to - for both subs.
Re-read the post........only ONE of them is working at all right now.

Originally posted by Mercureie yea i tried bridgin em and still jus one thumps. theyre all hooked up right. still dunno what the deal is. ****.
Ok so they are bridged and only one is thumpin. The wires are soldered onto the terminals or done with a banana plug or something else? If theya re solid on to the posts I would say you have a problem with the sub itself and need to get it repaired or replaced

Originally posted by Mercureie yea theyre both pretty solid in the posts, ive got a factory head if that would make ne difference, just in wiring.
If one sub is working and the other is not and you are running a mono bridged set up they should both be operating regardless of anything else. The sub is very likely blown or has a wire separated from the motor structure

Originally posted by Mercureie yea, at first i thought it was blown too, but it looks alright. how would i check for wires that r off the motor structure?
Somtimes you can see wires attached under the basket and terminal posts going to the cone area and sometimes they can break or be shorted. If the sub is blown tho, It does not have to be visible to be blown

alright, well ill check that out, thnx for all ur help. if i end up replacin it ill prolly look a a 12. would i be able to power a 10 and a 12 from one amp or should i jus keep my first amp to power the ten thats still workin?

Originally posted by Mercureie alright, well ill check that out, thnx for all ur help. if i end up replacin it ill prolly look a a 12. would i be able to power a 10 and a 12 from one amp or should i jus keep my first amp to power the ten thats still workin?
depends on the amp and the sub actually as far as the power ratings on each etc... however it would be best to keep your subs matched

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.