What's the max wattage amp I can use with a 150 amp alternator..

I'm actually about to be doing an install in that exact vehicle soon. Memphis Belle amp, ~1500w total but I'll be throwing an extra battery in the back. I've always been on the cautious side of electrical so personally I wouldn't cross 1000w without an additional batt but others might tell you otherwise.

assume your car uses about 40 amps to start up and operate, that gives you about 110 amps of unused power. general rule is 100 watts per 10 amps.

i'd say you're safe with running an 1100 @ 1 ohm before any electrical upgrades

Sorry for the Hijack but leaves me thinking. Im about to get a 1300w rms amp. Im expecting maybe 13ish volts to the amp, but I am doing a big 3 upgrade in July. Anyway I know my alt is in the 90 amp ballpark. With the big 3 what are the chances I will need another Batt/alt?

Oh when my car is running and I DMM the power and ground at the amp I get 14.51V but thats with the amp disconnected completely so its not like its what the amp will recieve while under high loads. Just wanted to add that.

Im about to get a 1300w rms amp. Im expecting maybe 13ish volts to the amp, but I am doing a big 3 upgrade in July. Anyway I know my alt is in the 90 amp ballpark. With the big 3 what are the chances I will need another batt/alt.
Real high

OYE! really. I was gonna buy a new amp in July also. I guess I should invest on better electrical system first. So should it be Alt or Batt first. I usually see 2nd batt before alts.

OYE! really. I was gonna buy a new amp in July also. I guess I should invest on better electrical system first. So should it be Alt or Batt first. I usually see 2nd batt before alts.
Spend the money on a good output alt in my opinion/experience,and a decent agm battery,and do the big3 right,with true 0ga.dont cut corners in the supply areas,it only leads to failure/or bandades for future failures

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.