Whats the best box config for a wagon???

This is merely to help illustrate a concept and is not accurate.
bswave.jpg

Basically the Port will produce a wave that is 90/180 degrees or so ( I cant remember, it may be different) out of phase with the front wave of your speaker.

When that wave combines with the front wave it may be off axis with it, producing a stronger or weaker wave depending on when it combines. If you combine the wave 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full wave (and in between), you can gain output of the speaker. full being the highest efficiency. To calculate this you need to be able to calculate the speed of sound and then measure the length the port wave will travel until it meets the front wave of the speaker. Honestly, I dont know who even does this. Your best bet is to make a box and move it untill it sounds louder or quieter. The moisture and temperature of the air affects the speed of sound, and I only tried to calculate this to design a Transmission line, which also factors in the FS of the speaker and I don't fully understand the underlying physics of these concepts. Go get the loudspeaker design cookbook and take a read of that, I had a copy but lost it.
HOLY ****! Are all those colorful lines all the DEEBEEZ surrounding the vehicle?!?!?! If so, ur design is magnificent! lol j/k yea, I always cringe when I see someone port opposite of the driver cuz I've only heard bad thingz about it... But whats-his-face had 2 L7s and aeros firing out the asss of his box and he was getn good numbers... I forget who it is but he has a build thread of his CRX... Maybe I should stick to the trunk car... less weight, easier build, cheaper 1st phase, gas saver, etc...

This is merely to help illustrate a concept and is not accurate.
bswave.jpg

Basically the Port will produce a wave that is 90/180 degrees or so ( I cant remember, it may be different) out of phase with the front wave of your speaker.

When that wave combines with the front wave it may be off axis with it, producing a stronger or weaker wave depending on when it combines. If you combine the wave 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, full wave (and in between), you can gain output of the speaker. full being the highest efficiency. To calculate this you need to be able to calculate the speed of sound and then measure the length the port wave will travel until it meets the front wave of the speaker. Honestly, I dont know who even does this. Your best bet is to make a box and move it untill it sounds louder or quieter. The moisture and temperature of the air affects the speed of sound, and I only tried to calculate this to design a Transmission line, which also factors in the FS of the speaker and I don't fully understand the underlying physics of these concepts. Go get the loudspeaker design cookbook and take a read of that, I had a copy but lost it.
lol?

whether a port and woofer are in and out of phase depends on frequency. They are out of frequency 180 degrees at tuning, that's why the cone barely moves at tuning, it's fighting the port and the port as a result is doing all the work. Basic rule of thumb, keep woofers close together, port centered and far away if possible, same face of box. In this case, I'd put the woofers on each side of the aero, towards the front, and put the port rear facing the hatch. All on one face might not make the window line. This should sum up just fine, the back wall will load the port and drop tuning some, but alot of times that's not a bad thing for a daily driver. The box will be longer than it is tall I think, so putting the port that way allows you to make it longer with no bending required.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.