I know,another Type R Enclosure Thread, but I need some clarification.Please help.

Guaio
10+ year member

Hey everyone. So here's the deal. I've been in the car audio game for quite a few years, but I'm no expert, I'm just an average Joe that's learned through trial and error.Over the years I have swapped out components with other components, subs with subs, boxes with boxes, but I've never tried a ported enclosure before. I've even built a few fiberglass enclosures, but all were sealed, and the first thing I'd always hear when I open my trunk is: "Dude, you shoulda gone ported"...so here I am. I've read several threads throughout this very informative forum and learned of the hundreds of designs that ported boxes come in, but I also noticed many variations in the cubic area that these Type R's should be in. So with this thread, I'm hoping you guys can finally give me a straight forward answer as ta what dimensions my ported box should be, so I can start building it. Alpine say's each chamber should be around 1.7 cubes each, but everyone on here suggests ta go up ta as big as 2.4 cubes each. So here's some of my stats ta help you guys out:

Subs: Two Alpine Type R's (500W RMS Each)

Amp: MTX X1000D (500W x 2 RMS @ 2 Ohms)

Trunk Space (At Most): 50" Wide

16" High

20" Deep

Preferred Tune: 31-35Hz

Music I listen too: Mostly Hip-hop/Rock

Seats can fold down

I looked at the thread with the multiple enclosure designs, and found the closest one I could:

Imageshack - 45cubes30hz60sqin5qi.png

Would this work?? I take it the sizes are based off of using 3/4" MDF?? If anyones built an enclosure close ta my specs or has a betta suggestion/direction,please let me know, and if you need more info, just ask. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would take advantage of the ported enclosure and use a bigger amp. That design is very decent for a pair of 12" type Rs and will be noticeably louder. Yes, most designs are under the assumption that wood thickness is 3/4

give them 2.5cuft and 1000 clean watts and laugh at the bass you just produced with a $120 woofer.

i have 1 12" in a 2.5cuft enclosure tuned to 32hz and it sounds great for now.

Sneaky,I'm not sure exactly what you're saying. Do you have a design, or do you have an enclosure already built that you're looking ta sell? In any case, I'd like to build my enclosure so I can learn more about car audio. So if you have plans, then yes, please send those to me. Thanks.

NMLegend, I wish I could do that, but I don't have enough room for a 5 cubic inch enclosure. The biggest box I can make for 'em that'll fit in my trunk is 4.4 cubes (2.2 each). Will that difference be noticable?

The ports displacement is already included WildBill....internally it'll be like the example I used in the first post, except a lil' smaller ta compensate for my trunk. The total space inside will be around 4.4, so I just split that in half and said each sub would get 2.2 cubes, even though they're not chambered separately.

2.2 each is plenty. And if it's all you have to give, it'll have to work anyways lol.

the 500rms ea will suit them fine. Though ppl here will claim that you can throw plenty more at them. I, for one am more of a fan of giving rated power or close to it to subs in this category.

At one point Alpine actually developed enclosure for their type S and R subs, however for whatever reason they were only offered for an extremely short period of time. I was fortunate enough to see these enclosure in their booth at one of the CES shows that took place in recent years. I can tell you for a fact that the enclosure they designed and developed was identical to the one seen in this link Atrend Dual 10 in. Vent Subwoofer Enclosure - ZX10D . I check Atrend's website at atrendusa.com but I couldn't find that box in their product listing. However you might want to contact them. In addition to the information above I have a friend who actually has one of these enclosures for two 12" type R subs and they are insanely loud. I'll try and get a picture of the subs in the enclosure and post it asap. The point is this a ported design that you might want to copy.

This is my current setup with a pair of Type R twelves:

14999_355594297179_285118207179_3548170_5486123_n.jpg

Just did a 148.3 legal (on the glass, car sealed up)on the TermLab in a box thats only 36"w x 14.5"h x 17.75"d and easily took 1st.

You can buy the same box direct from me or I suppose you could try to copy it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif...I'd rather you buy from me though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I have built quite a few boxes for the Type R's and this one works extremely well. No one can believe that a pair of Best Buy subs is that loud and clean.

You can check out a video of it in action here

I can tell you for a fact that the enclosure they designed and developed was identical to the one seen in this link. I check Atrend's website at but I couldn't find that box in their product listing. However you might want to contact them. In addition to the information above I have a friend who actually has one of these enclosures for two 12" type R subs and they are insanely loud. I'll try and get a picture of the subs in the enclosure and post it asap. The point is this a ported design that you might want to copy.
I've never heard of Atrend, but mayne, they got some ill looking enclosures on their website. Like you, I couldn't find the box that ressembled yo picture tho. But it's all good. I really wanna make this enclosure myself anyway's. I know these are sooo much betta than the usual prefab's, but I won't learn anything if I don't try it myself.

This is my current setup with a pair of Type R twelves:Just did a 148.3 legal (on the glass, car sealed up)on the TermLab in a box thats only 36"w x 14.5"h x 17.75"d and easily took 1st. You can buy the same box or I suppose you could try to copy it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif...I'd rather you buy from me though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif I have built quite a few boxes for the Type R's and this one works extremely well. No one can believe that a pair of Best Buy subs is that loud and clean.
Wow Dave, that is some impressive flex! You're also pushin 'em wit 3600W RMS, I only have 1000W. In addition,like I told SPL, I'd really like ta build my own enclosure,so I need blueprints which I know you won't give up, plus I don't have $175 ta spend on a box,s o I guess it's back ta square one. :/ Thanks though.

Guaio,

Here's another idea use this link http://support.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/OM_SWR-10+12_23D_43D.pdf its the owners manual for the they type R subs and it contains optimal box dimensions for your subs. Use the dimensions in the manual for a ported box and then plug them into a box wizard like this one Rockford Fosgate® - Woofer BoxWizard and it might help you come up with a functioning design, it might also help to see a visual representation of the the enclosure should look like. I don't know if this will help its just an idea.

Guaio,here's another idea use this link its the owners manual for the they type R subs and it contains optimal box dimensions for your subs. I don't know if this will help its just an idea.
Thanks for the added suggestion S.P.L, I really do appreciate it, but it was that same issue that sparked this post for me. As you know, I have two SWR 1222D's, and the manual says that the optimal space for one 12" sub in a ported box is 1.7 cubes. I already have designs for a 3.4 cubic inch box thanks to the Alpine reps, but you guys, and a few friends, all suggest putting them in a 4.0-5.0 cubic inch enclosure. So you see, that's why I wanted ta get some clarification from you guys first before I wasted all that time and money on a box that wouldn't optimize my subs...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.