whats size alternator i need

tuckintaco93
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
holt , fl
i cant afford the higher amp alternators so how do you know what size would be best for your system ...i plan to run 3000w max and 2 maybe 3 batts ..right now i have the stock alternator but not sure of the amps...also would a yellow top be good for a main batt or should i get a diff brand ?

For three batteries, and 3k watts... I highly recommend an alternator with no less than 225 amps!!!As for the battery,the yellow tops are quite expensive, and you could prob find a better battery for the same price/or less.I personally dont like yellow top batteries..I feel that are not what they are ment to be.I use red tops for the longest, until I found out that Orileys battery has a bit more CCA/ and just as much Reserve with a great warranty for like $130.00 less.Shop around,you may find something even better??Even on line:D

Do you plan on using your stock alt in conjunction with an HO alt? i.e. Use your stock alt to power your factory electrical, and have the HO alt act as a dedicated power source for your amplifiers? 3k is around 210-220A on a 14.4-12.8v system. RAM_Designs is selling batteries for a great price, and bad4health has deka's for a great price as well. I'd get a couple of those batteries then have excessive amperage build you like a 220A alt. Unless you plan on upgrading, then get a 270/300A

Do you plan on using your stock alt in conjunction with an HO alt? i.e. Use your stock alt to power your factory electrical, and have the HO alt act as a dedicated power source for your amplifiers? 3k is around 210-220A on a 14.4-12.8v system. RAM_Designs is selling batteries for a great price, and bad4health has deka's for a great price as well. I'd get a couple of those batteries then have excessive amperage build you like a 220A alt. Unless you plan on upgrading, then get a 270/300A
This... And yea Ram is selling so good batts, I just picked up the smaller MR-100, but I know he has some that resemble BatCap 2000s as well.

You wont need an alt with 3 good batts for that power... Sorry I dont understand why all these guys instantly jump in here saying you gotta have a HO alt cuz I have ran a single Deka for my M3a in a Honda and was just fine...

i run stock alt 3 batts and had finals yesterday. the lowest votage i seen was 13.6v(cranked @ 2k rpm) however @ idle ill see about 12.4v or 12.5v

i came across a deal at wal mart with some huge everstart maxxx batteries, they are like 1000 CCA i got em for 40 a piece with three year warrenty //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif and look on ebay real fast, i got a brand new 250 amp at 1200 rpm alt for 160 shipped... just throwing that out there....

For three batteries, and 3k watts... I highly recommend an alternator with no less than 225 amps!!!As for the battery,the yellow tops are quite expensive, and you could prob find a better battery for the same price/or less.I personally dont like yellow top batteries..I feel that are not what they are ment to be.I use red tops for the longest, until I found out that Orileys battery has a bit more CCA/ and just as much Reserve with a great warranty for like $130.00 less.Shop around,you may find something even better??Even on line:D

what orileys batts ...

My ho alternator burnt out on me last week. What they don't tell you is most ho alternators put out less amps than your factory alternator at low rpms so if you do a lot of local driving with a lot of stops it might output worse than your stock alternator. I'd recommend the batteries instead. Unless you do a lot driving that keeps your rpms in the mid 1000s or better.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.