whats going on at .5?

SMS
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
MA
curious as to what is happening to the inerds of an amp when run at very low loads? other than the excessive heat what is being damaged? I will be running at .5 just for burps and possibly a 30 second music run, but i will be running at my peak so its not like the amp will see .5.... right?

I have a 115A alt and 2 batteries running a DD M1c amp.

hoping HISPL, Pro Rabbit and/or taylorfade might chime in.

thanks for any help

I'm not an amp engineer so I'll just spitball for you.

Impedance is resistance. The lower you go in impedance, the closer you get to a dead short. Ever accidentally (or on purpose) connect the two terminals of your battery together?

Think of your speaker load as a floodgate. The lower you wire, the more open that gate is and the more flow it's going to allow/pull. Further stipulate that your amp internals are like a pipe. That pipe is rated for 100psi. Depending on how stout your amp is, 1 ohm nominal could be like 50psi or 90psi. If you open that floodgate by lowering the load, you might exceed that rating and burst that pipe or pop your amp.

Boards, components, pipes, whatever... they're rated for a certain operating range. If you exceed that operating range, bad things can happen.

Lower loads also lower the efficiency of your amp. Those efficiency losses are lost in heat (mainly). More losses, more heat, more bad things. Components swell and contract, or just swell and pop (smoke show).

The better the amp, the more overbuilt it will be. .5 might be a walk in the park. Or it could be killing it. The components on the board and the board itself can only handle so much. Like I said, they are rated for an operating range. More of those components or better/bigger ones will give you more useable range. Lesser boards or components will obviously give you less.

This is what cracks me up about people comparing boards of different amps. They don't take into account the bits and pieces that comprise the whole. Or even the board itself. Just because it's the same layout doesn't mean it's the same weight PCB or the same size traces.

With all of that said, half ohm burps or 30 sec music runs should be fine on any amp worth running if you can hold the voltage. Low voltage is a whole 'nother can of worms. But if your amp is up to snuff... the protection should be good enough to keep you from hurting it too badly.

Halving impedance is 4X harder on the semiconductors in your amp. As has been mentioned with high current you get high heat which = inefficiency. When folks brag about their 80% efficient amp that's most likely at one frequency, full blast, and at 4 ohms.

That all being said, depending on the sub and box you may well not be anywhere near half ohm when you burp anyway. In fact if it's your burp frequency I'd think it's almost impossible for the impedance to be at nominal impedance... if it is, you're doing something wrong.

If we hook up before you try it we can do an impedance sweep on the sub in-box and you can see precisely what the amp will see at any given frequency. For now, if you want to be safe only wire down to .5 to burp

Halving impedance is 4X harder on the semiconductors in your amp. As has been mentioned with high current you get high heat which = inefficiency. When folks brag about their 80% efficient amp that's most likely at one frequency, full blast, and at 4 ohms.
That all being said, depending on the sub and box you may well not be anywhere near half ohm when you burp anyway. In fact if it's your burp frequency I'd think it's almost impossible for the impedance to be at nominal impedance... if it is, you're doing something wrong.

If we hook up before you try it we can do an impedance sweep on the sub in-box and you can see precisely what the amp will see at any given frequency. For now, if you want to be safe only wire down to .5 to burp
Thanks jon, just wanted some reassurance before this weekends show.

how you think my sig would do in 3.6 cubes- i was thinking of making a bolt on piece so i could try the sig in the 15" box. that would be cool- a box with interchangable ports and subs. like a swiss army box- 3 ports, and a 12 and 15" sub.

[quote name='Dtrom']@username ;

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Wow some feggits username would be username[/QUOTE]

I cannot help it that I think its funny when you're mad, trying hard not to smile though I feel bad.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.