What year did car audio change

A lot of folks just have "good old day" syndrome. I used to run the old red and black Rockford Punch amps and then a bunch of old PPI Audio Art amps. Good stuff for it's time. But there really is better stuff out there now. As for SPL, people are still getting louder.

I'm old. I think audio changed even before the time frames we are talking here. Back in the 70's a 125 watt system could be heard a loooong ways off and was loud as isht. Now stock h/u's are putting out 160 ish watts and you can barely hear them outside of the car.

I'm old. I think audio changed even before the time frames we are talking here. Back in the 70's a 125 watt system could be heard a loooong ways off and was loud as isht. Now stock h/u's are putting out 160 ish watts and you can barely hear them outside of the car.
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wow.gif.23d729408e9177caa2a0ed6a2ba6588e.gif wha brand I want one

All I know is the audio scene seemed alllllot bigger when I was a kid (15 years ago) //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

The older car sound enthusiasts like me and others in this forum don't want the loud SPL systems like before and a lot of the major brands are geared toward SPL. We want a combination of SPL and SQ with more SQ than anything else and feel like unless you have $2000-$3000 to spend on a lot of the top brands then older amps will give you that combination. There are very few brands made today with the made in USA quality that give a blend of SPL and SQ.

Old School is a term where we think times and things are better than what they really were. To me 1988-1999 is old school. To others 1979-1985 is old school. In 20 years, the 20+ year olds on this forum will think Sundown, Atomic, DD, Audioque is old school. One thing for sure though is that the trend of making amps in Korea, China and Taiwan has ruined amps and car audio because now it's all about quantity more so than quality.

The older car sound enthusiasts like me and others in this forum don't want the loud SPL systems like before and a lot of the major brands are geared toward SPL. We want a combination of SPL and SQ with more SQ than anything else and feel like unless you have $2000-$3000 to spend on a lot of the top brands then older amps will give you that combination. There are very few brands made today with the made in USA quality that give a blend of SPL and SQ.
Old School is a term where we think times and things are better than what they really were. To me 1988-1999 is old school. To others 1979-1985 is old school. In 20 years, the 20+ year olds on this forum will think Sundown, Atomic, DD, Audioque is old school. One thing for sure though is that the trend of making amps in Korea, China and Taiwan has ruined amps and car audio because now it's all about quantity more so than quality.
Thats just smart business. The market wants more power cheap, you have to do what you have to do to deliver and stay in business.

Not saying I like it, and not saying quality can't come out of those countries, just saying I see it as the smart business move and if thats what the market wants give it to them.

Thats just smart business. The market wants more power cheap, you have to do what you have to do to deliver and stay in business.
Not saying I like it, and not saying quality can't come out of those countries, just saying I see it as the smart business move and if thats what the market wants give it to them.
well said. the day americans start caring more about quality, and less about cheapness, is the day china goes out of business here.

x2

I guess you can call me old school then!

I did get a butchered pre-HD Punch 150 off of e-gay, and I swear that it is a lot smaller than I remembered them being. I am starting to see that memories fade over time, but I will still put Linear Power up against anything that is out there on the market with regards to SQ!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.