What wire size to use? Do I need to fuse?

Jolio

I’m installing two pairs of Polk db6501 component speakers and a Polk PA660.4 amp; first install, and I’ve been doing a lot of reading. I’ve already got 4 ga. power/ground wiring for the amp; but, I’m not sure what size wire I need to run from the amp to each of the four passive crossovers, and from each crossover to its tweeter/mid pair.

The amp is rated at 75W RMS x4 into 4 ohms, and each component set is 4 ohms and rated up to 100W RMS. Ohm’s Law tells me that each component set will draw up to 4.3A RMS. According to ww.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm, the smallest gauge that can handle this is 15 ga. which is rated at 4.7A. When I measure the stranded wire that came with these speakers, my caliper says that the bare diameter is 0.04”, which according to ww.seas.gwu.edu/~ecelabs/appnotes/PDF/techdat/swc.pdf puts it at about 19 ga., which is rated at 1.8A! Jacket included, however, the smallest hole that this wire fits through in my friend’s Starrett AWG measuring tool is 15 (bare, fits through 36 with room to spare). Of course the wire’s not marked, and Polk couldn’t tell me what size it was when I called. What’s going on here?

I need to buy wire to run from the amp and through the crossovers in the trunk to each component, and I don’t know what size to get. Basic Car Audio Electronics has impressed upon me the importance of fusing whenever the wire size is reduced, so I’d like to match what’s trailing out of the tweeters in order to avoid additional fusing. I’m assuming I will already have to fuse each of the four channels coming out of the amp before the crossover at 100W, correct?

Help is appreciated, this is the last thing I need before I can finish this install.

---------- Post added at 11:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Don't know why I'm not allowed to post links, drop an extra w in there at the beginning of each URL.

you do not need to fuse the 4 channel leads and true 16awg wire will be fine....very rarely will those speakers see the full 75 watts from the amp if ever...listening to music will average half the max rms output...personally id do 14awg so if you upgrade in the future you wont need to change the wire

i had 16 gauge monster wire then i just switched to 12 gauge skyhigh and i can tell a difference seems louder and clearer i also upgrade to stinger 4000 rca's too.

i had 16 gauge monster wire then i just switched to 12 gauge skyhigh and i can tell a difference seems louder and clearer i also upgrade to stinger 4000 rca's too.
unless your 16g was way undersized for the application then you are only hearing an improvement because you "want" to hear one.

OP 16g will be fine as already mentioned....

you do not need to fuse the 4 channel leads and true 16awg wire will be fine....very rarely will those speakers see the full 75 watts from the amp if ever...listening to music will average half the max rms output...personally id do 14awg so if you upgrade in the future you wont need to change the wire
If I don't need to fuse, then I probably will end up going with 14 ga., as you said for future-proofing. But why wouldn't I fuse? If the amp were to short and deliver too much current, couldn't this blow the speakers or burn the wire?

If I don't need to fuse, then I probably will end up going with 14 ga., as you said for future-proofing. But why wouldn't I fuse? If the amp were to short and deliver too much current, couldn't this blow the speakers or burn the wire?
You don't fuse speaker wires. It's not done by even the most meticulous installers. While I won't say it's impossible for too much current to go through the outputs, it's not something to worry about. People damage speakers by improperly setting the gains and not knowing when to back off on the volume knob. Fusing is not going to help in those cases.

I'm using 16 ga wire for most of my speakers, and I have up to 200W RMS on that wire to my midbass speakers. It will never be taking 200W for more than brief periods and I have no qualms about using 16 ga wire in this application. Going with bigger wire just makes it harder to fit in tight places, like through the door jams. I had to settle for 1 run of 16 ga and 2 runs of 18 ga to do my 3-way door speakers. There was just no way to get more wire in the boots.

Fuse your 4(ga) 18in within the battery, don't fuse the speaker leads, set your gain right, use a speaker wire anything between true 12 to 16ga. You're set. The rest is up to you. Where to mount the crossovers and how to run the cables. If there was a short the inline fuse would most likely blow before reaching your amp. And if not, it would most likely go into protect. Don't sweat too much on the speaker wire.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.