What will a wall socket do to a sub???

Ok, so the basket was kind of shattered on one side.. so what happened was that the pieces of basket attached to the surround got F*cking launched... it kicked the breaker after about 3 seconds...tried it again and again and it kicked a breaker every time... sub was warm, but didnt smell at all...

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wowflash.gif.89a61f4caede63a11dac36e97d61323e.gif

when i worked at circuit city we had a loaded dual mtx 4500 box. wall socketed and one of the coils shot through the cone and landed about 6 feet away from the box.

it didnt do anything to my old solo x though. it was just loud.

i wall socketed an oldschool punch 15 for about 3 minutes until it gave up or so i thought. I was already halfway through destroying the cone when my dad comes upstairs and says " what the hell are you doing!? The lights are dimming and you popped one of the breakers!" upon further inspection the coil was still intact but i had already torn the cone off of the basket .

i wall socketed an oldschool punch 15 for about 3 minutes until it gave up or so i thought. I was already halfway through destroying the cone when my dad comes upstairs and says " what the hell are you doing!? The lights are dimming and you popped one of the breakers!" upon further inspection the coil was still intact but i had already torn the cone off of the basket .
You tore the cone off while the sub was still plugged into the wall?

Results vary based on the actual impedance of the sub you have @ 60 Hz... usually 2 ohms nominal is the lowest a wall socket will hold without tripping the breaker for extended periods of time -- such as this video:

If you have a clamp meter you can calculate actual power delivered like we did.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.