What to expect from my new ssa dcon 12?

random question do you screw in the 45's or just glue? and thanks please keep us updated loving this!!!
Glue and clamp. Screws usually loosen overtime due to vibration unless you use some epoxy to keep it in. A well done wood glue job will basically be a permanent bond as if the wood is one whole piece.

I wish I had the tools to do that its the only way id try a ported box again. Id probably do 28hz 2.0 cubic feet for my dcon.

Glue and clamp. Screws usually loosen overtime due to vibration unless you use some epoxy to keep it in. A well done wood glue job will basically be a permanent bond as if the wood is one whole piece.
Actually, I use screws(from the outside), glue, and clamps. Sometimes I'll use screws from the inside if I can't get a clamp on there. I use a light glaze of body filler(bondo) to smooth out and fill any small gaps between the 45's and box wall.

Sorry about the slow progress, the guy I was building the box for called and pushed the date back until after Christmas, so I set it to the side so I could finish couple of other boxes. I'll be finishing up the Gcon box today and I'll make sure to post more pics.

Building a nice looking box doesn't mean having to have fancy tools. It's all about how smart and creative you are with what tools you do have. When I first started, I had a table saw that the top was bent on and couldn't be squared. I had to do some ghetto **** to set up the fence, then clamp it in place and hope for the best.

My boxes still came out looking legit, you'd never be able to tell I used an old beat up table saw and sander that I found in my grandpa's basement. This was my first professional looking box and I still have this box 2 years later. Both the box and subs were stolen, but still made their way back.

Sent from my G870a on 38's

Man do I wish I lived in GA lol love the pics not to sound like a broken record but keep those pics coming lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

is properly porting my dcon really going to be clean flat and perfect as my sealed setup even custom birch proper port tuning length size etc even all that can that really be as accurate clean and tight as my sealed setup?

Man do I wish I lived in GA lol love the pics not to sound like a broken record but keep those pics coming lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifis properly porting my dcon really going to be clean flat and perfect as my sealed setup even custom birch proper port tuning length size etc even all that can that really be as accurate clean and tight as my sealed setup?
Should be cleaner since their Efficiency Bandwidth Product suggests a ported configuration. However finding the proper tuning is the hard part for you since you dont really know how to explain what you want. My 18s ported sound way cleaner than any of my previous past sealed setups because hit a pretty decent sweetspot with the tuning. If i were you, i'd go out of my way to any car audio meet or competition and demo everything possible and really know what you want out of it.

You did have a trunk back then right? now its a truck? There will be clear difference in sound quality going from a car trunk to a truck. VERY huge difference since you dont have anything blocking the way anymore.

no civic hard to see but seats go down I keep one side down .............

as plain and basic as that setup you see is its just very flat and smooth non peaky and abnormally strong on the lows, I wouldn't mind if I got more spl from it being ported but wouldn't want to compromise anything I just listed that I like about it now that's why I say so hesitant to port.

this box is 1.3 almost 1 inch mdf (was advertised as 3/4) I added some tiny corner braces, painted inside to seal it up with cieling paint then lightly lined the walls with r13 so the sub is roughly seeing 1.25 after displacement.

no civic hard to see but seats go down I keep one side down .............as plain and basic as that setup you see is its just very flat and smooth non peaky and abnormally strong on the lows, I wouldn't mind if I got more spl from it being ported but wouldn't want to compromise anything I just listed that I like about it now that's why I say so hesitant to port.
unless you start box building and actually experiment with tuning. I'd stick with sealed for your setup, maybe add another Dcon and you should be done. For your GF, have a ported or 4th order box made.

unless you start box building and actually experiment with tuning. I'd stick with sealed for your setup, maybe add another Dcon and you should be done. For your GF, have a ported or 4th order box made.
one day before we get old I gotta get her a wall of 18's or it wont be enough lol we've never been to any shows i dont think there are any near me she'd probably enjoy that more than I would to!

one day before we get old I gotta get her a wall of 18's or it wont be enough lol we've never been to any shows i dont think there are any near me she'd probably enjoy that more than I would to!
There are lots of shows near NY man. Just join local facebook or instagram car audio groups to be "in the know" about events like that.

ill have to look into it but I'm not NY NY I'm upstate NY I call it wannabe NY we are a glorified country farmland city here lol

I tune to 32-33 on almost everything and every person was more than happy with the outcome. Sometimes I tune to 30hz-31.5 on underpowered setups, most of the time that helps flatten out response peaks when building the box a bit larger.

Starting to sand the filler. Only one of the 45's are for the port in this box, but I filled the others anyways. I'd feel like I did a half-assed job if I didn't lol.

OP, here's a model of your current sealed(purple) and the ported design I'm building for the Gcon(teal) . Both on 400w, but there's a huge difference. I know that doesn't account for cabin gain, but a 9db gain at 30hz and around 8db at 40hz. I'd say build the box design I posted.

Here's Dcon ported(teal) vs Gcon ported(yelow) both on 400w in the design I posted. **** near identical, but of course the Dcon power handling limits it from getting as loud.

so basically that shows I should be happy with sq in a ported enclosure like that then right? Am I seeing that correctly that it seems to stay fairly flat ported also?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.