What to expect from my new ssa dcon 12?

so we were all set to order an icon I still want one but now she wants my Dcon we tried it ported (thanks btw to everyone who told me to try it) stayed flat sounds pretty amazing to us both. So if I give her my Dcon it puts me in a tough spot here. I know obviously the ICON eats a Dayton HO all day! I have always always wanted to try a Dayton HO. I searched like crazy on it and If I'm reading correctly the HO will appreciate a smaller ported enclosure and still get as low as my Dcon and possibly louder? am I correct in this assumption? I am guessing I will have to choose between a slight improvement in all areas over the Dcon if I get the HO or a major improvement over both Dcon and HO with an ICON would everything I just assumed be fairly accurate?

so we were all set to order an icon I still want one but now she wants my Dcon we tried it ported (thanks btw to everyone who told me to try it) stayed flat sounds pretty amazing to us both. So if I give her my Dcon it puts me in a tough spot here. I know obviously the ICON eats a Dayton HO all day! I have always always wanted to try a Dayton HO. I searched like crazy on it and If I'm reading correctly the HO will appreciate a smaller ported enclosure and still get as low as my Dcon and possibly louder? am I correct in this assumption? I am guessing I will have to choose between a slight improvement in all areas over the Dcon if I get the HO or a major improvement over both Dcon and HO with an ICON would everything I just assumed be fairly accurate?
Dayton HO is pretty good but I would not get it over the ICON. The HO is budget SQ with a hint of loudness. Willing to bet its only the same level of volume as your Dcon. With the sales going on. you can get an Xcon for the price of an Icon and the Xcon is a well regarded SQ driver with crazy volume capabilities.

The only reason I even considered the the Dayton besides curiosity was I was always under impression its a very good sq sub. That's my big thing. I mean if I can be loud and have sq I'm good with that to. I didn't throw in image dynamics because I figured for the price of those I can get an Icon. I just thought the Dayton HO was considered borderline elite when it came to (musicality and SQ) ?

find a xbl^2 driver, the 04/05 RE XXX 12 I got my hands on a few months back was probably the best sounding and loud 12 inch sub ive heard.

they're not cheap though lol

The only reason I even considered the the Dayton besides curiosity was I was always under impression its a very good sq sub. That's my big thing. I mean if I can be loud and have sq I'm good with that to. I didn't throw in image dynamics because I figured for the price of those I can get an Icon. I just thought the Dayton HO was considered borderline elite when it came to (musicality and SQ) ?
budget sq bro. borderline elite is the and ID subs and some incriminator and phd/CDT stuff. Elite are the w6 hertz, audison, focal, morel, dynaudio stuff. I dont care much for Image dynamics subs, they dont sound good to my ears. Even a pair of CT sounds stratos sounded better than the dual ID max setup i've heard. He switched over From the ID to the stratos and it sounded 2 times better SQ wise.

Jl W6, Incriminator Flatlyne, SSA Icon, those are better pics for higher sq then? BUDGET SQ is a mistake I don't want to make again!!!

You might want to add more power too. Power brings out more bandwidth and when you have plenty headroom, you dont have to push the amp hard and you have generally less distortion vs an overworked amp. For pure SQ though, the W6 is pretty nice if you can find it for around 130-180 on craigslist

budget sq bro. borderline elite is the and ID subs and some incriminator and phd/CDT stuff. Elite are the w6 hertz, audison, focal, morel, dynaudio stuff. I dont care much for Image dynamics subs, they dont sound good to my ears. Even a pair of CT sounds stratos sounded better than the dual ID max setup i've heard. He switched over From the ID to the stratos and it sounded 2 times better SQ wise.
You think Incriminator is elite sub and not ssa sub??

We just spent the last 2 hours in my car.... I have to stick with SSA it sounds so F***** good, especially for a 400 watt sub. I will say that new Sundown sd-3 looks pretty dam nice especially the under hung motor but I think I need to stick with SSA. Just have to decide if I want to be impatient and get GCON shipped right away or wait it out for a ICON to be built.

palin and smple XBL is the most linear motor. from a magnetic standpoint. as far as power compression and a electromagnetic stand point the LGLC design is the most linear but offers a lot less throw than a similarly designed XBL motor. so for PURE SQ that can get loud Id say go with the XBL driver.. underhung offers a good BL curve as well but unless its designed to get really loud they usualy suffer from power compression.

with that being said Ive owned a lot of drivers. I really like the xxx/Brahma the IA flatlyne the image dynamics IDQ. i've never use the SSA icon.

I will say this the driver that have a substantial shorting ring IN THE GAP do sound better as well(ESP higher inductance designeds)..

http://creativesound.ca/pdf/SDX12.pdf

i think they purposly increase the MMS to get the lower FS which i don't like but for a driver with probably a 3'x1' copper 2 layer coil thats alot of MMS. reguardless these drivers sound great with 500-750 watts.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.