What sub for small enclosure and minimal mounting depth?

GoBucks!
10+ year member

I have been researching a single sub which I will build the box. I have a 2000 Chevy S-10 extended cab, but have kids who ride in the back, so need to maintain their ability to duck and walk over to the jump seat. Was looking to remove the tire jack and relocate and free up the 7" deep shelf against the back wall in the extended cab area.

Criteria: Looking for overall SQ with a little SPL, single subwoofer (8" or 10"), prefer a DVC, 5.25" mount depth max, 0.6 ft^3 max, probably sub better suited for a sealed enclosure, $140-150 price max, will buy an amp to match the sub.

1) First thought was an MB Quart RLP 254 shallow mount due to the shallow depth and cheap price.

2) Second thought was an RE REX10 for a traditional sub with a cheap price and good reviews.

3) Third thought was a Sundown SD-2 10, but at upper end of budget and more SPL than SQ?

Open to any suggestions would greatly help.

Take a hard look at Alpine SBR-S83V subwoofer. It's basically a 4ohm DVC Alpine Type R8 (normal price online about $100) in a custom ported box that's very small and tuned low. I think it's a good value considering you get it with a ported box that's tailored to this subwoofer, as custom boxes do not come cheap. Being a ported box, it will dig deeper than either 8 or 10 inch subwoofer in a sealed box. The R8s overall have reputation for very good sound quality. They were basically over-engineered and have very low inductance.

zako, thanks for the response. Just looking over some options for the pre-fab woofer setup like the Alpine. How does the competition compare to the Alpine: Kicker TC104, Pioneer TS-SWX251, Rockford R2S-1X12, or JL CS110-WXv2. All of these boxes will fit for my specific location.

After a couple more days of research, I think I have focused my choices.

1) Alpine SBR-S83V as suggested by zako. Box already built and will fit perfectly in my truck.

Will only have 0.6ft^3 for the next two options:

2) Sundown E8v2, not the newer E8v3 due to mount depth. Does the E8v2 perform well in a sealed box or much better in a ported box?

3) Image Dynamics ID8v.3. Same question, perform well in a sealed box or much better in a ported box?

Looking for bass notes to drop as low as possible, but doesn't have to rattled my truck apart. Just looking for SQ with a little SPL to back it up. I like all types of music.

sundown have decent sq i have 3 sa-8s but ur best bet with a sundown is ported to hit them lows but i can tell u first hand a sundown 8 slaps sum lows its pretty amazing ..lol

If I go with the Sundown or Image Dynamics, I want to make certain that the proper spec'd box will fit my truck. Image Dynamics actually has a phone and I contacted a tech and discussed the proper box specs and tuning for a vented box. Image Dynamics so far has the lead just due to helpful service and a phone number.

I need to determine the box and port specs for the Sundown E8v2. Is there a source for this specific info? This feels like a newb request, but I have been out of the game for awhile.

Just in case this info is needed for someone to help:

amp= 300w-ish

max box width= 24"

max box height= 12.5"

max depth bottom of box= 7"

max depth top of box=4.5"

Update: I purchased an Image Dynamics ID8 and spoke with their tech, Frankie. He gave me specs for a .55ft^3 ported box tuned to 32 Hz. All I got to say is wow! The SQ is great with a little SPL. Just what I was looking for. Totally pleased with this purchase.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.