What Sound Deadening Foam do I need?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Zackster

Alabama
I'm running an American Bass TNT 15" in a 6cb.ft. box tuned to 28hz. I have both port and sub facing the hatch (I drive a Nissan Pathfinder 2001 SE 3.5) and, needless to say, the entire hatch flexes like crazy... especially towards the bottom with the licence plate. The rattling is especially loud at 40-50hz but not so much below that. Anyway, what type of sound deadening foam would you guys recommend I use on the hatch? And for some dumb *** reason my licence plate doesn't have bottom screws so I guess I could just shove some foam under it to stop the rattling there.

I'm running an American Bass TNT 15" in a 6cb.ft. box tuned to 28hz. I have both port and sub facing the hatch (I drive a Nissan Pathfinder 2001 SE 3.5) and, needless to say, the entire hatch flexes like crazy... especially towards the bottom with the licence plate. The rattling is especially loud at 40-50hz but not so much below that. Anyway, what type of sound deadening foam would you guys recommend I use on the hatch? And for some dumb *** reason my licence plate doesn't have bottom screws so I guess I could just shove some foam under it to stop the rattling there.
Use some weather stiripping foam on back of licence plate is got adhesive back so easy cheesy done lol . As far as hatch goes I have never had one but probably want butyl vib deadener maybe 2 or 3 layers and maybe a layer of 1/8 cc foam under the door panel itself and a layer of MLV on top of foam and door panel back on top of it all . Thats how I had to do most all of my truck and and its quiet AF and my doors hardly flex anymore as well as back of cab. If you need links to products I can send later and pics if needed Pm me.

Grab a few sheets of Second Skin SPL sheets and put them on the back of your plate. Then go to Walmart and go to the camping section. You can get 1/4" closed cell foam mats that go under sleeping bags for $5 a piece. Cut some small squares and glue a square on each corner and 1 in the middle of the plate. Rattles will disappear.

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Use some weather stiripping foam on back of licence plate is got adhesive back so easy cheesy done lol . As far as hatch goes I have never had one but probably want butyl vib deadener maybe 2 or 3 layers and maybe a layer of 1/8 cc foam under the door panel itself and a layer of MLV on top of foam and door panel back on top of it all . Thats how I had to do most all of my truck and and its quiet AF and my doors hardly flex anymore as well as back of cab. If you need links to products I can send later and pics if needed Pm me.
25% coverage is all that is needed. After 25% coverage, you reach diminishing returns. Not 2 or 3 layers.

Grab a few sheets of Second Skin SPL sheets and put them on the back of your plate. Then go to Walmart and go to the camping section. You can get 1/4" closed cell foam mats that go under sleeping bags for $5 a piece. Cut some small squares and glue a square on each corner and 1 in the middle of the plate. Rattles will disappear. 

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

25% coverage is all that is needed. After 25% coverage, you reach diminishing returns. Not 2 or 3 layers.
Ya I tried that one went with over 25 % first time doors still vibrated to beat hell went to 2 layers 80mil and three in the centers and even at 152 db doors dont vib much any more. Everything I read said 25 % but it sure didnt work for me ? maybe would work with smaller system too ?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.