What should I expect out of this system? Should I include a processor?

Participant count
  • Participant list

brickie

Would like some opinions on how this system will sound and if I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm looking for good SQ along with powerful dynamic sound if I want to crank it up.

Vehicle is an 09 LTZ Chevy Silverado 2500 Ext cab pickup. Here's whats going in.

Pioneer AVH 4200NEX head unit.

Hertz Mille Legend 6.5" two way component speakers for fronts.

Hertz 5" coax in rears.

Hertz ES 250.5 Energy 10" subs (2) in custom sealed box under rear seat.

Hertz Digital Power 150 x 4 amp for door speakers.

Jl 750 HD sub amp.

System will be professionally installed using proper sound treating, wiring, etc.

Installer / owner doesn't think that I need a digital processor. He thinks a quality head unit should be enough. (was thinking of using an Audison bit one DSP).

I'm one that likes to fidget with the sound from time to time.

Two questions.

Will this system rock?

Should I have a DSP added?

Looks good. Listen to it If your not totally happy add a dsp. A dsp is a very good idea but a prs80 might be enough if you only run two way active fronts and sub. I would ditch the rear fill or put it on a toggle switch so you can turn it on only when you have rear passengers.

Thanks for the reply. So you are thinking rear fills may make it sound worse? Guess I could have him do the installation keeping in mind a DSP may be installed in the future. You wrote "looks good". Meaning it's going to kick butt? Couldn't I just use fader control to get all sound going to the fronts?

It's good equipment with a good install should sound great. The problem with rear fill is it pulls your sound stage back and it's not supposed to be back. With a good 8channel or 10 channel dap you might be able to correct some of it with time alignment but still won't be perfect. Rear fill is just not worth it to me.

I've found over the years that a solid set up doesn't need much tweaking from song to song. Besides, you have 13 bands, x/o points and time alignment to mess with. I don't see the point in a processor. However, we do a lot of things w/o much of a point.

I think the sub set up is less than ideal. It will be loud and crisp for sure, but personally I think I'd want more thunder. The problem is under the seat doesn't leave you with any real enclosure options. Not much xmax and sealed is really going to limit the low end. Hopefully your cabin gain gives it a boost in the low range.

Honestly though, unless you're into a lot of low electronic bass the 10's should be more than adequate. I just like some

I'm hoping that I can dial it it to my liking without a processor. I like bass that is tight and gives a good kick in the back when I want it. Not into listening to loud dominating bass. Old school hard rock, light rock, classic rock, newer hard rock and some jazz from time to time is what I listen to. Hope I'm satisfied with the subs. Limited space in an extended cab so going with a ported box was not recommended.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.