What music can be played?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Boboblittz
10+ year member

USA
I have a ported box tuned to about 33hz. I want it to be able to kick hard on rap but i mainly listen to metal. Will this box sound good with frequencies above 33hz because above that i dont really care if it kicks hard as long as it doesn't distort and flub.

I have a ported box tuned to about 33hz. I want it to be able to kick hard on rap but i mainly listen to metal. Will this box sound good with frequencies above 33hz because above that i dont really care if it kicks hard as long as it doesn't distort and flub.
80% of my music is metal. My first box was tuned to 32Hz and sounded fine for metal. But my next box that is being made right now will be 34hz.

Hope that helps you

Most metal wont' go low enough for port tuning to make a heck of alot of difference. Spend your time worrying about your front speakers.. I had some very nice pro audio mids and horns in my last car and people loved rock and metal in my car, even with subs off.. Subs just added that last 10%..

Also, for metal you want to tune fairly low.. Alot of this forum tends to preach tune high for metal. Their idea is that since metal doesn't go low, you should tune higher, but that has 2 main issues. First, most of the subwoofer duty for metal music is right near the usual crossover points, between 60-80hz, with lower drums being 45ish.. Tuning anywhere between 30-40 isn't going to make much of a difference between what's going on most of the higher stuff... It does make the 45hz stuff louder, but for metal "loud" bass isnt' really what you want.. You want loud bass that keeps up with the music and still sounds like the band playing it... Secondly and most importantly tho, the higher you tune the higher your group delay and the higher in frequency it occurs. Tuning near 40 pushes your delay right up and into your metal music making it sound sloppy and slow..

If you want good bass for metal, do 3 thing, in this order

1.Get good mid basses (deaden the doors, or use your kickpanels, big speakers, 6.5 minimum, high effeciency and power)

2.Get a sub that can actaully play up to 80hz+ and let it do it's thing

3.Either use it sealed, or if you do listen to some rap, do a small to medium sized ported box tuned low 28-32hz, depending on taste.

I greatly appreciate the posts! I kinda figured that based on research, frequency under the tuning will roll off and cause much cone movement and ones above would be relatively flat which is what im looking for here. I don't want it to sound muddy on quick notes and your second opinions helped to reassure my hypothesis. Now alls i need to do is actually test it out!

Oh and its not actually for a car as i do not own one yet, but in a year ill be able to get one. Thanks for the useful info!!!!

Had a 15" FI Q in the wife's car. 3.25cubes, tried 32 & 34Hz tuning. Sub ****** *** for most rock/metal. Very boomy/bottom heavy and rolled off fast in the upper 40's.

The actual sub you choose will probably make the most difference.

I run AQ HDC's, 6th order and reg ported and play a LOT of rock/metal and they keep up very well and have a lot of impact. Hit you in the chest type kicks which is what I like.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.