What material do I make ports out of?

Participant count
  • Participant list

klein

CA
This is my first post here after about a couple of weeks of lurking the boards. I have learned a wealth of information from all you guys/girls so thanks a lot.

Anyways, I've started making an ported enclosure for 2 JL 12W0's and I am wondering what I should use to make the actual ports themselves. JL's recommended measurements call for one 4" diameter x 12" length cylinder for each sub. I was considering PVC piping that they sell at home depot in about 10-foot lengths that I can cut down to spec. I'm thinking this is the wrong way to go for some reason.

So how would I go about porting the enclosure? And what method would I use to suspend the cylinder. Thanks in advance- your guys help is much appreciated.

This is my first post here after about a couple of weeks of lurking the boards. I have learned a wealth of information from all you guys/girls so thanks a lot.
Anyways, I've started making an ported enclosure for 2 JL 12W0's and I am wondering what I should use to make the actual ports themselves. JL's recommended measurements call for one 4" diameter x 12" length cylinder for each sub. I was considering PVC piping that they sell at home depot in about 10-foot lengths that I can cut down to spec. I'm thinking this is the wrong way to go for some reason.

So how would I go about porting the enclosure? And what method would I use to suspend the cylinder. Thanks in advance- your guys help is much appreciated.
I prefer square (slot) vents. They're easier to manage (you can adjust the port area as needed) and they're not that difficult to make.

does sound differ from different port types? tubular like pvc or slotted?
Not until you start getting into large drivers that move a large amount of air. In that case i would go with a slot or square port. For something on the smaller side round ports work fine.

I have use PVC before and it works. All I did was glue and tube in place in the hole and added a few small, flat head screws in the inside of the port and screwed it into the MDF.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.